Ganging servos together

I am in the design phase of building a robot arm roughly 40 cm long that can pick up several pounds ( 1 kg for easy math).  To get a 40 kg-cm torque servo is a pretty expensive servo ($60 at pololu.com although anywhere else anyone knows something cheaper, please share!). 

Has anyone ever tried to gang several servos of the same brand and type together to work in concert?  I was going to put a balancing weight on the far end which will help, but still calls for a pretty expensive servo (30 kg-cm)

Any other suggestions, I would love to hear.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Bill

Have you considered using

Have you considered using stepper motors? You can get a set of 5 Nema 17s meant for a RepRap 3D printer and it wouldn’t be much more than the price of one of the servos you were talking about.

Something like this geared down 10:1 would give about 55 kg/cm of torque.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-NEMA17-BIPOLAR-STEPPER-MOTOR-76-oz-in-for-3D-Printer-/181345050554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3901dfba

Though it isn’t quite as easy as connecting a signal line to a microcontroller pin and go, it’s an option.

I might have the parts to

I might have the parts to make the 10:1 hanging around.  Not a bad option.  Thanks for suggesting it.

Regards,

Bill

double post

double post