Gadget Gangster Design Competition

Hey Guys - Long time lurker. I'm the Gadget Gangster guy. We did a contest a while back and a lot of lmr folks got involved, so I thought I'd let people know about our newest contest.

Our new contest is called: THE DESIGN COMPETITION. Okay, not a very creative name, but we have $2,000 in one-of-a-kind prizes to give away to the best designers.

Unlike the Father's Day contest, this is open to all microcontrollers including Prop, SX, AVR, and PICaxe can use any of our project boards, and the method of scoring is a little different. There's more info on the Competition Page. A huge thank you to Parallax for providing the prizes for the competition. If you have any questions, you can just reply to this thread.

I vouch for this man

I am indeed a second-place winner of the father’s day contest! --Actually, why don’t you go over to Gadget Gangster and buy one!!!

So here’s the deal:

Get a free pack of PCB’s

Build something cool with it

–And–

if its cool, they sell it and you get a cut, or you win stuff… Either way, it’s good.

–By the way, thanks for the Power Supply, GG…

Sounds awesome, but one
Sounds awesome, but one question I couldn’t find in the T&Cs: is this an international competition? Specifically I’m from New Zealand and I’m thinking about making something for it.

No problem

There are no international limitations - as long as it’s legal to participate in your country, it should be fine.

OT - but we’re putting together a new set of project boards - we have one for Propeller, an LCD UI module, and a prototyper module. Not available yet, but I did a little video of the prototypes here. They should be ready next week (I’m bringing some to the Propeller Expo next weekend). Of course, my video making skills are no match for Chris’!

Problems connecting
Don’t know what it is, but I’ve always had problems loading the Gadget Gangster website. Going the normal way through Charter Cable connections doesn’t work, results in “waiting for website” then “connection was reset” or “timed out”. Using an alternate DNS server also doesn’t work. Going through a web anonymizer does work. Any thoughts?

Count me and Ball-E IN!
does the robot parts kit have omni wheels?

Lamers - there was a problem
Lamers - there was a problem a while back with the DDOS firewall and some IP blocks were blocked that shouldn’t have been. I thought they fixed it, but obviously not. Can you go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/, and email me your IP address? My email is nick at gadgetgangster.com

I think the robot pack is
I think the robot pack is the coolest prize. Parallax is putting it together from parts of all the robots they carry, prototypes, etc. I don’t think it’ll have an omni wheel, but they’re putting a ton of stuff in there.

Full inventory
im gonna be upgrading MkII soon, and i need to know which pack i should pick WHEN i win. could you post a reference or a list of all the components in each prize? im lookin @ 1 or 2.

Here’s a partial list of the

Here’s a partial list of the sensors pack
Hitachi H48C Tri-Axis Accelerometer
Memsic 2125 Dual-axis Accelerometer
Infrared Receiver
TCS230-DB Color Sensor
TSL1401 Linescan Imaging Sensor
Hitachi HM55B Compass Module
PMB-248 GPS Receiver + Cable
PING))) Ultrasonic Sensor + Stand
PIR Sensor
QTI Sensor
DS2760 Thermocouple Kit
HS1101 Humidity Sensor
LM34 Temperature Sensor
MLX90614 Infrared Thermometer Module (10° FOV)
Sensirion Temperature/Humidity Sensor
CH4 Gas Sensor
CO Gas Sensor Module
FlexiForce Sensor Kit - 25 lbs
LPG Gas Sensor
Piezo Film Vibra Tab Mass
Melexis 90217 Hall-Effect Sensor
Reed Switch and Magnet

There’ll be a few more suprises in the sensors pack, too.

The robotics pack is a little harder - it contains parts from all of Parallax’s current robots, prototype parts, and more. Next time I’m up in Rocklin, I’ll see if I can’t get a better bom - but trust me, it’s a friggin huge box of awesome parts.

**Can I enter more then 1 robot? **
i have 2 ideas, and I cant decide which to enter. if both of them win, I’ll only take one prize…

Yes
You can enter more than once and each design can win. If two of your designs win, you get two prizes (if you don’t want a second prize, that’s cool, too!)