From movement servos ssc32u

[justify]I am having two issue with my first go at building Phoenix hexapod. The first issue and one that might not be to important is that when I try using hexapod configuration app it does not connect. I have installed the FTDI drivers and still nothing, lynx term does allow me to connect and control the servos. What is more of a issue is the fact that I cant get any movement out of the servos using the PS2 controller. I am assuming that it is communicating with it cause I get beeps out of the board when I press start or a few of the other buttons, but all of the buttons don’t produce beeps when pressed. For example d-pad up and down, triangle, circle, mode and R1/R2. Also all the lights on the BotBoarduino are flicker non-stop for the most part I was unsure is that was proper? D4,3 and 6 go out for a millisecond when I hit start and any of the other buttons that produce a sound. I had read on one of the forum pages that the baud rate of the ssc32 and the BotBoarduino have to be the same but I am not sure if thats the cause or not. I have attached a few pictures of the wiring and it all seems to be right. So any pointers would be helpful[/justify]

Hi,

Lets address all your points one by one. I’ll do so in-line with reference, so it’ll be easier to follow what is about what:

We recommend that you do not use the hexapod configuration app. It is problematic at best and has not been maintained is probably over 5 years. It actually is considered legacy software for at least 2 years now. A sure way to configure the offsets for calibration would be to use Lynxterm. Since you already have it installed and working, this should be straightforward for you. Please see my answer here from earlier. It covers the basic details required for calibration.

The beeps would indicate that your PS2 receiver and the BotBoarduino are communicating successfully. Therefore, the issue is most likely the baud rate between the two.

To be honest, I haven’t tried one in a while and do not remember what they are supposed to do at that time. That being said, everything else you described seems to indicate no issue there. You can instead monitor the blue PWR LED on the SSC-32U. This one should never blink (otherwise indicating a brownout).

The default baud rate on a SSC-32U is 9600. The baud rate for the BotBoarduino Phoenix code is 38400. The best solution is to change the SSC-32U baud rate using the Baud button, near the A/B LED, Bee socket and USB port. Check the SSC-32U manual, page 34 for details (bottom half).

The wiring does seem good. Though we cannot see the VS1=VS2 jumpers on the SSC-32U, but we assume they (both of them) are placed properly since you mentioned using Lynxterm to move the servomotors before.

Let us know how that goes.

Sincerely,

That was what I needed, BAUD. I knew that it was most likely off but I was unsure what the default was on either as there is so much info out there at times it tough sorting through it. On last quick question. I attached a top down photo and was wondering if that was the proper position for the front and rear legs or should they be like the middle legs? I have yet to fine tune them but are they in the “ballpark”?

Hi,

I am glad to learn that this helped you! You may also want to check out my latest post in that other topic. It has some links to the Phoenix code and where the baud rates are referenced. The USB <> BotBoarduino is actually hard-coded, so if you need to change it you’ll have to do it on that line (or create a #define for it, which would be a good idea :stuck_out_tongue: ).

As for the legs, we recommend trying out different setups and see what works best for you. The code is quite flexible and those series of #define allow you to change how the gait works a bit. That being said, I’d recommend trying it out with all the legs parallel to each other first and then go from there.

Sincerely,