First time builder - battle bot creation

16 year old daughter LOVES BattleBots. She took an ID tech course last summer and built a beginner robot with a partner, and fought it. We took her to Vegas to see a live show for her birthday. She’s taking another ID Tech BattleBots class this summer. Dad is mechanically inclined, but not electronically inclined. I am not mechanically inclined, nor electronically inclined, but I am teacher who taught myself the basics of 3D printing and was able to do basic upgrades on my machines.

Haven’t been able to find robotics clubs in our area and her high school doesn’t have one. Looking to provide daughter with robot building experiences at home to see how well she’ll really take to it as a hobby or a possible career area. We’ve always said she thinks like an engineer. She’s overcome a ton of issues with ADHD and autism, and I think she’s ready for more challenge.

What do you suggest we start with? A kit? YouTube videos and lists of parts? Budget comfortable up to $300, but can go higher for an amazing experience.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Hi @paajaa and welcome to our forum!

We are glad to hear about your daughters interest in robotics and battle robots.

What we can recommend is something that RobotShop sell online.

If you want bigger and good quality robot, in the price range of 300$, we can recommend Viper Combat Robot V2 from Fingertech:

It comes with everything you need to get started in combat robotics. Also, you can find a lot of add-ons like additional weapons here:

If you want something smaller and cheaper, we can recommend some of our Sumo Bots:

And there are also more expensive and bigger Sumo Bots which you can find here:

We hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else.

Thank you so much! All of this helps. Will start her with a Viper for her Easter basket, and we’re visiting a competition next weekend to get a close up look at it all. So excited.

1 Like

You are welcome. I’m glad I could help a little bit.