Encoder for 12V, 1.7A, 416 oz-in Geared Bipolar Stepper Motor?

Hello,

I’m looking for an encoder to use for the RB-PHI-210 stepper motor. I see the HTK22 [RB-phi-270] encoder, but I need more accuracy in the encoder so I can step the motor in 1 degree steps. I found an encoder, the Rotary Encoder 1000P/R 3 Channel 4mm (NPN) [RB-smh-03] which seems similar to another Phidgets product, the ISC3004 Optical Rotary Encoder [RB-phi-167] and I was wondering if it would work with the stepper motor. If so, I’m also interested if anyone has any suggestions on how to mount it with the motor since it doesn’t look very obvious besides needing a connecting shaft. If it won’t work, any suggestions on an alternative? I’m also assuming that since I need 1 degree steps or smaller, that equates to >360 P/R.

Thanks for any help!

Hello @Moohcow,

The only compatible encoders for that motor are the following:

If you need to connect the main shaft of the motor to another device with a shaft (the RB-phi-167 for example), you can use a shaft coupler. I didn’t see any 4mm to 8mm shaft coupler, but this is the closest I could find:

Would it work to attach the encoder to the exposed rear shaft via a shaft coupler, or does the shaft need to be keyed to be coupled @geraldinebc15 ? My idea was to attach the 4mm rear shaft to the 4mm shaft of the Rotary Encoder 1000P/R 3 Channel 4mm (NPN) [RB-smh-03] via a coupler, and then mount them together with a bracket for the motor and a bracket for the encoder so that they are close enough as to not move much.

A 4mm to 4mm shaft coupler could work but you’ll need to mount the encoder so it doesn’t move. The idea of a bracket sounds good, but I don’t see any direct bracket options. Here’s a good option for the coupler:

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll go ahead and try coupling it on both sides and see what works. Thanks for the input!

2 Likes