Emote-bot

I have wanted to build this type robotic face for quite some time now. Here is my (OK, but not great) first try.

The hardware is mounted in a metal box from inside a bad external CD/DVD drive.

I still need to "activate" it by adding control lines from the servos (2) to the furry ears and the (plastic tube) "mouth"

Then I will program it for some independent "performance" routines, but I plan on using a serial link to the PC for advanced control.

Right now, it has VERY limited PING))) ultrasonic vision, but I hope to install a small (cheap) USB web-cam for some real vision.

I plan on adding some form of external structure (possibly construction paper as it is cheap and very "forgiving" of mistakes.

It will have limited tone output as well as being able to "pipe" computer audio over to it for speech generation, etc.

I am using a Uc32 in "Arduino mode" that I think will be perfect for this application.

Desktop face-bot which can emote.

• Actuators / output devices: 2 servos
  • Control method: Uc32 controlled by USB from a PC
  • CPU: Digilent Uc32
  • Operating system: Arduino
  • Power source: Desktop PC USB
  • Programming language: C
  • Sensors / input devices: Ping))) Ultra Sound
  • Target environment: desktop

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/emote-bot

please post a video! this

please post a video! this looks awesome!! reminds me of Furby or Kismet.

Sorry…

I am not too proud to admit this robot was a (rather dismal) failure. I just could not make the mechanical parts work. (I did burn up the large continuous rotation servo, seen in the front, in the process…)

The smaller 180 degree servo (was to be used to make the ears move) is now happily sweeping a IR rangefinder on a robot (the type I have no trouble making, mechanically.)

So sad…