Elev-8 Quadcopter

HoverflySPORTUsersGuideV1_1.pdf (3344826Bytes)

Updated 2012.02.24

Started 2011.12.21

Ok so I have been dying to build a Quadcopter. I saw the one that Fritzl had and the one that Ken Gracey from Parallax has. Apparently Parallax now sells the ELEV-8 kit as of last Friday. I was taking a tour of Parallax and they mentioned that I could be the first owner of the new kit. I could not resist. So this is my first time after buying the kit last Friday to start work on it.

Here is the kit laid out with all of the parts.

PIC_0182.jpg

The only things that you need to buy separate is a battery and a 6-Channel RC transmitter/receiver set up to run the Hoverfly sport board or a 7-Channel one if you want to add a video camera tilt option to the Quadcopeter

It comes with the Hoverfly Sport board that is powered by a Parallax Propeller and includes gyroscope and accelerometer onboard to do the flying and hovering.

PIC_0186.jpg

So far I spent about an hour assembling the motors with my Father [mainly because I am all thumbs…LOL]. The instructions leave a lot of room for interpretation and options based on your preferences. So don’t expect the usual Parallax thoroughness.

PIC_0183.jpg

One of the reasons it took so long was that there is a lot of parts included in the motor packages that we did not use according to the assembly diagram and that initially caused some of our confusion. Also I need to find my heat gun for all of the heat shrink that we will be using.

So that is it for today.

Update 2012.01.11

The first thing was to cut a 13" length of cable for each of the motor wires and solder them on to the motors and then cover it heat shrink.

PIC_0190.jpg

Then add the male connectors on the end with some heat shrink.

PIC_0189.jpg

So I did this for each of the four motors.

PIC_0188.jpg

Next I had to solder the female ends on to the ESC [Electronic Speed Controlers].

PIC_0193.jpg

I did this for each of the four ESC's

PIC_0192.jpg

Next my Father and I applied the checker tape to the boom's and sealed it in clear shrink rap.

PIC_0195.jpg

We did this for all four booms. The two red ones are the front of the craft and the two black ones are the rear of the craft.

PIC_0194.jpg

Now I ran the motor wires inside each boom.

PIC_0198.jpg

and then we assembled the motor mounts on each end of each boom.

PIC_0197.jpg

We repeated this for all four booms.

PIC_0199.jpg

PIC_0200.jpg

Here is where I ran into problems with the landing gear or V shaped plastic. The screws are suppose to thread into the landing gear but two of my landing gear had over large holes and would fall off. I decided to go to the hardware store and buy longer screws with lock nuts but it was the weekend and the store was closed by this time. So I continued on.

At this point the instructions said to attach the booms to the top plate temporarily and build the wiring harness to power everything so I started that.

PIC_0203.jpg

I started to lay out the where I wanted the ESC's to be placed so that I could solder togther the power harness. But I was missing somethings. First I needed an RC controller and RC receiver to control this machine. So my Father and I went to a local hobby store and found what I thought would do the job. I was going to wait for my Tax refund to buy the RC rig and extra's but my Father surprised me by purchasing it. He is really into building this aircraft!

PIC_0205.jpg

I also needed a LIPo battery and a charger for it.

PIC_0206.jpg

Since I was told that I had received the first kit to walk out of the door, I called Parallax about my landing gear issues. They told me that they now assemble them differently. They had new screws and threaded stand-offs so that you run the screws from the bottom up through the landing gear and bottom plate and screw them into threaded stand-off's on top of the booms. This way you can remove the top plate with all of the electronics at anytime without having to flip the vehicle over. They were going to send me the hardware updates this week.

As soon as I receive the hardware update I will remove the top plate seen here and reassemble the craft from the bottom plate up.

PIC_0204.jpg

That is all for this update

UPDATE 2012.01.17

I got impatient and went to the hardware store and the hobby shop. I picked up some more lock nuts, long 3" 4-40 threaded rods, various sized spacers and started building away. My Father and I tried several different variations but in the end we went with the origonal 1/4" spacers with lock nuts on top.

PIC_0207.jpg

I used the longest screws that were in the origonal kit for the center.

PIC_0208.jpg

So when I put the top on the threaded rods stick up and so do the center screws.

PIC_0210.jpg

As I get further along I will put nuts on the outer for rods and cut them down to size. My Father assembled the top electronics flight controller assembly.

PIC_0211.jpg

The battery fits snugly between the inner screws so it will not slide around. I probably not put any nuts on them. the rig is very rigid without nuts so I will try putting nuts only on the outer 4 rods to fasten the top on. Next comes the power bus. I started with soldering on the EC3 connectors onto the ESC's. Then I layed out the ESC's so that I could work on making the power bus.

PIC_0215.jpg

One of my additions can be seen in the above picture next to one of the ESC's. Next to the orange ESC that is between both black booms is something that looks shiny in the picture. This is a toggle switch that I mounted upside down so that the switch is under the vehicle at the back. I wanted a convenient way to turn the aircraft on and off without having to unplug the battery wire. So this is where it stands right now.

PIC_0216.jpg

The battery will plug into the back of the machine and under the machine on the back is the power switch. The next step is wiring the power bus and this means some research. I know that I have to power each of the four ESC's but I also have find out what I need to power the RC receiver and Telemetry system, the HoverFly Sport board as well as my camera with transmitters. Once I figure out all of the connections that I need, I can build the bus.

That is all for now.

UPDATE 2012.01.19

Tonight after work my Father and I worked on soldering together the power bus for the Quadcopter. Man that was bear to solder the 12AWG to all of the other wires! I had to pull out my butain soldering iron and at times we used both irons at the same time to get a good solder joint. It doesn't look like much but it powers everything.

PIC_0219.jpg

I have four EC3 connectors for my ESC's and one longer EC3 connector that will go down under the craft to power the camera and video transmitter. Here is what it looks like when it is installed.

PIC_0221.jpg

It is kind of a mess but I will clean it up and use wire ties on everything after we mount the camera on the bottom. I wired in a switch that can be seen on the bottom of the picture. We tested the craft and all of the ESC's power on and start beeping.

Now that we have power, it is time to start programming all of the various electronics. But that is for another day...

UPDATE 2012.01.21

Last night I bound the RC transmitter and receiver together. I have the telemetry option and was able to get a good reading on my battery and on the temperature [temperature readings is just for fun]. Today I programmed each of the 4 ESC's one at a time with the RC rig. That proved to be easier than I expected but I did goof once and the one motor roared to full throttle and the Quadcopter flew up off of the table and flipped over onto the floor. Fourtunately nothing broke. After I programmed all of the ESC's I forgot to calibrate them. So I had to go around and do that. Then came the time to plug in the ESC's to the flight controller [i.e. the HoverFly Sport Board].

PIC_0226.jpg

Once that was done then I connected the RC receiver.

PIC_0225.jpg

I used doublesided tape to secure the receiver, telemetry and extra anenna. I also used rubber feet under the battery and two velcro straps to secure it.

PIC_0229.jpg

Next came the firmware updates on the HoverFly board. After that we ran tests on the flight controls with the test software.

HoverFly.jpg

So here is the almost finished flight ready quadcopter!

PIC_0228.jpg

It was too late to do a test flight today. After we learn how she fly's we will start work on the video camera that will be mounted on the undercarriage. I will film the first flight and post it as soon as the weather permits.

Update 2012.02.23

I finally uploaded some video of it flying. I am still having issues keeping it in the air. So far I have crashed and broken a propeller as well as a motor mount and a landing gear. I am not quite through with it. I am going to add a camera onto it as soon as I get it tuned to hover correctly.

Update 2012.02.24

I tried to fly it today after work to adjust the gain in order to make it more stable in flight and broke another landing gear. So instead of buying the Crash Kit for $45 I went to the Hobby Shop and picked up 4 propellers for about $18 and then I had to come up with a solution for the landing gear. Here is what I got:

PIC_0233.jpg

I found these lightweight PVC pipes at the hardware store for 89 cents apiece and then 8 hose clamps that cost close to a $1 each.

PIC_0237.jpg

These won't break that easy. They may twist on me but I will cross that bridge when I get there. Tomorrow is the big test.

Oh and I also uploaded another video that my brother and I shot in Redding. He insisted that we duck tape his camera onto the quadcopter. It did show some very erratic aerial acrobatics where the quadcopter started to tip from side to side. I was not moving the stick at the time and at one point I actually thought it was going to flip right over and fall out of the sky. It did it about three times on me before I got it down in relative safety [without too much damage].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80d_q0vwWbw?version=3

I have always been wanting

I have always been wanting to build my own drone (quad) though i was quite surprised at the price $1200 was a bit surprising for me…

The Kit was $550 and the DX8

The Kit was $550 and the DX8 Trasmitter, Reciever and Telemetry modules cost $420 at the local Hobby shop. The LIPo battery and chager made up the differnece plus tax on everything. You can go with a cheaper 6 channel RC rig but I have plans to add camera’s and wanted 8 channels so I went for the DX8. The guy at the hobby shop said that I was buying the “The Holy Grail” of RC rigs. But since I will demo this to Fire departments and Law Enforcement agencies, I spent more than I really needed to on this project.

Hmmm…interesting

I’m making my own quadrocopter for my thesis but i cant seem to get the damn thing in the air. Maybe you someone here help 

Here is the link to the forum where i ask…things http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1554141 

Thx

I read your forum posts

Your hardware looks sound for the motors and ESC’s

The first thing that I would do is make sure that you have good 12AWG wire connections from your battery to all of the ESC’s. Then run one motor at full throttle and measure the current draw of it and also the battery voltage while the motor is at full throttle. Do that for each motor-ESC combination to see if there is any differences. Then connect 2 motors and test the current and voltage again. Finally test all four. Your current should be 4x the curren of one motor. Your ESC info lists a low voltage option that will either throttle back the motors or turn them off completely. I could be that the battery voltage at full speed is low enough for the ESC’s to throttle back.

Second I did not see any mention of you programming each ESC or calibrating it. I know that you are not using a flight controller like I am but you might click on the link above called “HoverflySPORTUsersGuideV1_1” and read pages 31-37 on ESC’s.

Third, I would recommend getting a cheap RC rig [not like mine LOL] to program the ESC’s and test your set up. Then you can add your own MCU to control it. That way you can eliminate possible problems with you PWM.

A good set of videos on buiding quadcopers can be found here: http://www.hoverflytech.com/video-tutorials.html

measure current o.O

I only have a multi-meter that can measure up to 10 amps and the motors use more then that I think

Thanx for your time and i will surely do as you say and report back if i know more.

Cruise the junk shops for

Cruise the junk shops for some electrical device with a amp meter in it like a charger for car batteries or go to an automotive shop and buy a new one. You will want to see what the amps are and at the same time see what your battery voltage is. Something like this should work great

cheers!

this is very cool! i’m chuffed! :smiley:

Cooooool!! :smiley:

Cooooool!! :smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-Vb9h5Pew&feature=related

:smiley:

Sweet

I am totally jealous of that dude.  Nice job.

Quite possibly a fake video,

Quite possibly a fake video, as we never see a shot of the copter pulling the skateboard. We only see the copter with a string trailing it, and shots of the kid on his board being pulled by something off-camera.

Looks Fake to me too

I would have to agree that it looks fake. My ELEV-8 can lift 2 lbs more than its’ weight according to Parallax. The only way I see this working is that it is pulling him down hill…LOL

Thanks. It is a safe

Thanks. It is a safe addiction.

Sorry but I take back what I said

The video IS REAL. Just look in the shadows and you can see that at least twice the Quad is pulling him.