Dual Motors with Speed or Position Control feedback - product suggestions please

Hello!

Im just looking into a project im starting where I have 2 “Wings” that flap up and down. They have to be run on seperate motors, in seperate housings but need to stay visually in sync.
I could do this with an arduino and servos, but I need something larger than even the mega servos, So I was thinking instead to use 2 Geared motors and a mechanical linkage (Cam) to give the up down motion.

I can therefor either have an encoder on the back of the motor, or a potentiometer on the final output shaft (roughly 0-90degress motion). Im expecting the motors to be about 5A stall current.

I would need the motion to trigger via arduino, flap for say 1 minute in sync, then finish back where they started (Ideally).

Can anyone advise which motor controllers are capable of this sort of feedback please?

I see potentially difficulty in returning to the same place when using a motor encoder. This could maybe be overcome with a simple position switch?
I also see it might be hard to get feedback from a Pot going Up and down in value, whilst the motor only turns 1 direction. Would I be better in this instance using the geared motor as a servo, and reversing the direction for the Up/down?

Thanks in advance!
David

Hello @AdamantiumFX and welcome to the RobotShop forum,

Interesting project!

What do you mean when you say the “mega servos”?

Have you considered using geared servos instead? Ideally, you should select them according to the torque they need and not according to the stall current.

Perhaps this one could work for you:

Regards