Drone Kits for College Students

Hello,

I manage an Innovation Center at a small college. I’m looking for drone kits that would be suitable for college students. Ideally, the drone would be programmable and customizable. I don’t mind if there’s soldering involved. Most drone kits for education that I find are for a younger audience. Can you provide suggestions on drone kits for a collegiate audience? Thank you!

-Travis K.

@TravisK Welcome to the RobotShop Community. Do you have an idea of what you’d like the students to do, or what sensors you’d like onboard? That will help determine the size of the robot and then the cost. If you’re looking for something small and programmable, and not too expensive:

All the elements of a drone in a larger size:

The reason you’re not finding many kits out there is that production / commercial drones mostly work “out of the box” these days without the fear or risk of a crash because of a misconfiguration or user error. A manufacturer would prefer selling a $500 ready to fly drone rather than a $500 kit where so much can go wrong (on the part of the user) which leads to extensive troubleshooting and frustration.

1 Like

You have already got many good suggestions. You can also consider Emax EZ Pilot Pro. That is good for beginners.

1 Like

@cbenson @rooppoorali These are great suggestions. Thanks! I’m still learning a lot about drones, so I’m looking forward to checking out these options.