Driving two motors with L293D using only two Picaxe outputs and tri-stating

tristate-motor-test.bas (405Bytes)
tristate-motor-test-08m.bas (453Bytes)

If you are running out of input/output pins of your Picaxe here's something that might help you: Picaxe's configurable input/output pins can be used in three different states so instead of two output states (high/low) you can get three states (high/low/"tri-state" or hi-z). The third state is set by configuring the pin you are using as an input. When configured as an input the pin will have high impedance. That state is called "tri-state" or hi-z.

Having a high impedance means that the pin is "invisible" to the rest of the circuit or putting it another way around: High impedance pin does not affect the rest of the circuit at all. To use hi-z state of a pin you have to build a circuit that makes a difference between the "visible" (output) and "invisible" (input) states of the pin. After a couple of days playing with different schematics here's what I came up with:

tristate_l293d-2motors-schema-upd.png

Here's the idea of the upper part of the circuit above (Picaxe output 1, Q1, Q2 and L293D's enable 1, input 1 and input 2):

• When the Picaxe output 1 is low Q1 and Q2 are on. L293D's input 1 is pulled down by Q2 and input 2 pulled up by Q1 but that does not matter because Picaxe's output 1 is pulling enable 1 down.
  • When the Picaxe output 1 is high L293D's input 1 is pulled up by R3 because Q2 is off and input 2 is low because Q1 is off.
  • When the Picaxe output 1 is hi-z Q1 and Q2 are on. L293D's input 1 is pulled down by Q2 and input 2 pulled up by Q1. L293D's enable 1 is pulled up by Q1 base.

The lower part works just like the upper one.

Here's a picture of the whole thing on breadboard and 28x1 is driving it:

tristate-l293d-motor-breadboard.jpg

And a close up on breadboard:

tristate-l293d-motor-breadboard-closeup.jpg

There's also embedded video of the thing working at the top of the page if you happened to miss it. I hope this was helpful. Comments and corrections are welcome :-)

The code running motors on the video is this (also attached):
main:
' Motor 1 off Motor 2 off
low portc 0
low portc 1
pause 2000

' Motor 1 forward Motor 2 forward
high portc 0
high portc 1
pause 2000

' Motor 1 backward Motor 2 backward
dirsc = %00000000
pause 2000

' Motor 1 forward Motor 2 backward
dirsc = %00000000
high portc 1
pause 2000

' Motor 1 backward Motor 2 forward
dirsc = %00000000
high portc 0
pause 2000

goto main

Last but not least: Thanks to ignoblegnome and Oddbot. I got a lot of inspiration from Dual Y-bridge and discussions on Blind lemon robot page.

Update Feb 24 2010: Schematic was missing pull down resistors. Now the schematic above should be ok. The reason why it was working on my tests with 28x1 was because I was using axe020 project board and it has pull down resistors on digital inputs (port c). It got me a bit worried when I first tried the circuit on 08 project board and it wasn't working. But it's running just fine now.

Update Feb 24 2010 (part 2): Added another video just for fun. This works with 08M too. I attached code for 08M too although it's almost identical to 28x1 code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVZMqhZBK0c

Very interesting
When I get time, mabe I will try it with the Parallax Basic Stamp. I looks like it would work. I/O pins run scarce with H bridge stuff I am learning.

It might work

I think this works with pretty much any microcontroller as long as you can configure pins as inputs and outputs. Of course you need a bit more space for extra components and some changes to your code. Your code might get a few lines longer too if you want to store the states of other pins (not just configuring them all but just the one(s) you need).

you’ll have to forgive me

you’ll have to forgive me because electronics aren’t my strongpoint but i’m really interested in bulding a circuit like this.

I’ve tried a few different setups in the schematic, connecting a seperate power supply but that didn’t work. Also the transistors i’m using are radioshack randoms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2N2907  and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2N2222

Will it still work with those or am i doing it completely wrong?

It should work

It should work with those transistors or pretty much with any general purpose transistor (currents through transistors and switching frequencies are really low).

You might want to try building only one half of the schematic first (the “upper part” of the schematic). This way there’s less chance for errors. If you do it this way just use/connect these:

• Transistors Q1 and Q3
  • Resistors R1, R2, R3 and R8
  • L293D: GNDs, Vs, Vss, Enable1, Inputs 1 & 2, Outputs 1 & 2

You mentioned a separate power supply. Have you tested it to make sure it works? Also, what voltages are you using with this circuit and how did you connect it to the circuit? L293D datasheet (at least the one I have, SGS-Thomson) says:

• Vs and Vss max is 36V
  • Vss min is 4.5V (although it seems to work with lower voltages)
  • Vs min is Vss
  • Input and enable max is 7V
  • Input and enable min for high is 2.3V

When I used this circuit in my LadyBugBot clone I added pull-down resistors to L293D’s inputs 2 and 3. I think they are not really necessary (this circuit worked just fine for me) but I just wanted to make sure those inputs will not float. You can check the schematic for that in LadyBugBot clone page. Be warned: The schematic there is even more complicated because it has all component for the bot. You can also see the mess on the proto board :slight_smile:

I’m sorry it’s taken me so

I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to reply, your comment is definitely helpful. unfortunately i used up all my resistors when i attempted to build the board so i have to run to radioshack hopefully sometime this week. i was using a 4 pack of double AAs just hooked up to the power lines in the breadboard. With my 28x1 board i just had the standard 3 AA pack. I think i may have been reading the schematic incorrectly. I’ll have to try again later this week, but thank you very much for your helpful reply

No problem

No problem.

4 x AA (6V) for L293D and 3 x AA (4,5V) for 28x1 should be fine. I thought that different logic voltages may cause so trouble but according to L293D datasheet it’s ok: Input & enable high voltages are min 2,3V so it works at 4,5V (from 28x1).

Let me know how it goes.

Can i use 2N3904 and 2N3906
Can i use 2N3904 and 2N3906 transistors?

Conecting motor

Hai nuumio,

I am novice in eletronics but I am studying it now.please help to study this where should the motor be conected on the schematic?

on on output 1 ,2 and out 3 and 4 ? I can buy BC 337 AND BC327 transistors but what is bc337-25 and bc327-25?

Nice idea for the

Nice idea for the “tri-state” i have used tri-state for controlling mass LED, but never thought for dc motor, thanks for sharing