Drive Motor Sizing Tool | RobotShop Community

i want to use aservo motor with an arm to be a hammer … is the servo suitable ? and what kind of models i need ?

@mahmoud adel When the hammer hits, it may damage the servo’s internal gears and motor; you can create a sort of hammer, but the servo would need to be powerful, and there would need to be some way to absorb the shock of the impact so as not to destroy the servo.

Hello, so there is one question I have. Is this sizing tool calculating just half of the robot? I have a 4-wheeled robot using just 2 motors (obviously that means 2 passive and 2 driven wheels). I’m not sure to type 1 or 2 for “# of drive motors”. Thanks in advance

@Omar Mata Two

we require to on/off the LC Circuit Breaker switch using DC Motor. Please suggest the suitable DC Motor for our application

@pavan We would need to know quite a bit more about the project, and ideally diagrams would help. Can you create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum? https://www.robotshop.com/forum/motors-actuators-controllers-f78

@Coleman
i used this calculator and i really appreciate your work
i am making a fire fighting robot and i want to use tread tracks with it. how will i calculate the motors required for it ??
reply ASAP

@M.Faizan Tracks generally have the effect of spreading out the weight, but do not necessarily change the motor’s torque or rpm requirements, provided you use the drive sprocket as the wheel. Therefore if you plan to use tracks, where it asks for number of driven wheels, you can simply put two (if you plan to drive each track with one motor per side). The wheel information is according to the drive sprocket (radius). Turning in a tank is not very efficient, so you might want to drop the overall efficiency quite a bit to around 40% (since if you turn a lot in the tank, there will be a lot of wasted energy).

@Coleman
I am trying to design and select drive motors for a project of mine with the data below:
Mass = 25lbs
Drive Motors = 4
Motor Voltage = 12Vdc (will actually supply a little less to motors)
Radius of Wheel® = 1.06" (using mecanum wheels)
Rpm = approx 110 for 1ft/sec
Using T = Frsin(90)16oz/in = 251.06116oz/in = (424oz/in)/4motors = 104oz-in (I believe this is the torque to get it moving from a stop)

If this is correct, I am having trouble selecting the appropriate motors for my application…

@cooper A few values are missing for us to reproduce your results. Can you providethe output in rev/min and the Torque in ozf-in?

I came across some calculations which includes rolling friction for the force calculation, please let me know whether this calc also accounts rolling friction.

@Kishorekumar No, the rolling friction is not included; there are a number of factors omitted from the calculations for simplicity of use.

confused of this tool maybe someone can help
I want to size motors for (minisumo 500g)
2x wheel radius 0.015m
voltage 6V
if I enter this data it gives something… but nothing that I can use to find suitable gearmotor
from https://www.pololu.com/category/60/micro-metal-gearmotors
I understand that as robot is only 500g the traction will be issue if motors have enough power…
so here comes question what would be minimal power of motors not to stall against nonmoving target?
Thanks if someone can explain

If I have a car have 4 wheels ,but I have 2 drive motor wheel
In this case, what should I do

@ Jaan This tool cannot be used for sumo since there is an external force acting against the robot (the other robot which is trying to push yours out of the ring) which is not factored into the equations. You will need to read through the associated tutorial and understand the forces, then re-do the equations.

@ alaa If you have two motors, each connected to their own wheel, you would enter “2” as the number of drive wheels. If you have two motors which are each connected to two wheels, it would still be “2”. If you have one motor connected to two wheels, and the other two are not driven (like a car), you would enter “1”. It all comes down to the number of drive motors.

hi, thank you very much

Thanks to this, I made more progress in 1 morning than before in 1 year.
Now that I know the specs of the motors I want, I need help to find them.
Will someone be so kind as to tell me where will I find this: T: 14Nm P:3W I:0.25A ?
I’m installing 4 DC motors in a medium sized cargo bot. I want it to roll 20 Kg total weight on a 15º surface, but also up some stairs at 50º. The wheels are to be 23cm high to overcome the steps, slowly.
I simply don’t know where the motors are sold!
Many Thanks

@Jorge Dias https://www.robotshop.com/en/compare-dc-motors.html?__pc=103 Note that you will find a motor based on torque, RPM and voltage.

My constant load is 50kg on motor can I select 12vdc high torque motor this motor rpm 60 stall torque 110kg-cm and stall current 5.1amp