Drive Motor Sizing Tool | RobotShop Community

Dear Coleman Benson.

I’m looking to make a hobby robot of max mass 10kg incline 30degree incline using 2 drive motors and all other parameters included the max torque your application gives me is about 300 ozf-in. i was looking to buy the pololu 100:1 or 50:1 motor set for better speeds however for 100:1 the specification lists the stall torque as 220 ozf-in. My question is how high is the stall torque supposed to be. ive read above that you said its basically 4x-5x the max torque listed by the application and in your view point which motor would be more suitable for me? the 50:1 or 100:1? please reply as soon as possible as i have a tight window to order this motor.

@Mustafa Mirza If the sizing tool gives 300oz-in, the motor needs to have a stall torque of around 1200 to 1500oz-in stall torque. Neither motor would be suitable.

Hi
The incline value…if I enter a value of 20 degrees and a desired Runtime of 20 minutes, is the provided value for battery capacity calculated on the basis of the 20 minutes having been at 20 degrees for the whole period? ie.the Extreme case of 20 minutes running uphill at 20 degrees?

lars

Thank you so much for this helpful tool & tutorial , but u have 1 question :
*** If the torque is for example 1 N.m. , now i want to use 2 wheels connected together through a shaft (like simple cars) and will connect one motor only to one of them from outside the car using coupling. does this mean i need a motor with 2 N.m. so 1 n.m. per wheel OR do i need a motor of 1 n.m. and that will be divided on the 2 wheels to be 0.5 n.m. for each ??

i.e : the torque output from the tool is it The Total Required torqur OR is it per wheel ??

thank you in advance

Sorry for typing mistakes in my first reply , i still have one more question:

If i have my motor with brakes should i still worry about stall torque ?

@Lars Poster Correct. Since it’s rather difficult to estimate the percentage of time the robot will be going up an incline, the incline value is largely there for the max torque required. The battery estimate comes from the estimated current draw. Feel free to recalculate based on 0 degrees (to get an estimate of the battery pack for flat terrain) and then estimate the time it will be on flat terrain vs. incline to get a better approximation of the actual batteyr pack you’ll need.

@M.Ismail If you still only have one drive motor per side (regardless of if you use multiple wheels or tracks), you still need to put that you have two drive motors. If you have four wheels and four motors, you put four drive motors. If you have six wheels but each set if three is connected to one side, you still need to put two drive motors.

@M.Ismail Yes, and ideally you would not choose your motor based on stall but rather the maximum continuous torque the motor can provide, which is ~1/5 to 1/4 stall. The brake will simply prevent it from rotating but won’t help it move.

for the motor_wheel issue : thank you a lot i understand better now .

well the datasheet i have has 2 terms only : one is called “rated torque” which i use in selecting motors and the other is called “Peak torque” and i do nothing with it …i simply choose the motor that has rated torque=my required torque at rated speed=my required speed ,so is this enough ?

many thanks! Super handy tool!

@M.Ismail “Rated torque” should be the torque at which the motor can be operated continuously for the longest period of time, so you can base yourself off that. Peak torque should only be for a few seconds.

A video on how to make a small humanoid robot

Really nice tool… quite practicle too…but didn’t really understand role of acceleration in the calculation. I had calculated power using rolling friction coefficient, which was overestimated. Would be helpful if you share your thoughts…thanks!

@Vivek https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/drive-motor-sizing-tutorial-3661
Hopefully that will explain the impact of acceleration.

Hi so i have a weird application and I’m hoping you might be able to help me. I am looking to build an electric spinning wheel. I am looking to build something similar to a hansen mini spinner http://www.hansencrafts.com/hansencrafts/products/products_ms_ww.htm . Since i need it to operate at both high and low speeds i need to be able to adjust the rotation on the fly. I know that means i need a potentiometer and i am looking at getting a arduino uno but after that I’m stuck(I’m extremely beginner here). I’m not sure what size motor i need or whether to go brushless or not or what motor controller to get. My flyer (what i will be driving) weighs about 6 oz but will have some drag from wind. Can you help me find the correct components for my project?

@Heather Since your inquiry is more design related, it’s best to create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum here: https://www.robotshop.com/forum/motors-actuators-controllers-f78
If you can provide the same information here as well as a few details about the project itself, we would be happy to help.

hii… I am building an electric car… the car should run at 60 kmph for that what should be the rpm of motor & voltage supply to the motor…the wheel that’ll be used for the car will be of dia 12" or 14"… thanks in advance

@bhushan parulekar Building a complete, full-sized EV is a bit beyond the scope of this sizing tutorial, as well as the products offered by RobotShop.

@amit, I am also planning to build a wheel chair type robot. I need some help for this project. can you shae your contact details so that I can approach you.

@guru At this time RobotShop does not offer consultation or design services, but we can do our best to help guide you to the right technology. Feel free to create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum: https://www.robotshop.com/forum/general-discussion-f100