Donation Price Winner Name Pull Robot

Dear LMR

Frits has organized some give-aways with the intension to give all donors something back as a sign of gratitude.

But there are more donors than give-aways. So we need to make a selection.

Andrew and I have gathered all the names together of the people that donated to LMRv4.

Now we would like to have a robot that makes the selection for us. So this is a good reason to start a Robot Challenge.

Goal

The goal is to draw five winners out of all donors.

So here is my question to you:

What should be required from the Robot Challenge? What rules are needed? Can you give us an outline of a robot idea that has to be built to meet the given goal?

More detailed specification

The skill-level should be from beginner to advanced.

The robot must be able to make random selections from a pool of names. There are five prizes, and just in case we want to pull 5 alternate winners. So we need 10 names picked.

The rules for the drawing will be that the first name picked gets their choice of the prizes, the second name picked gets their choice of the remaining, etc. So the robot challenge must be able to support that.

Ideally, the winner of the challenge would have their robot pick the winners for the donor drawing on a live video stream (on YouStream, perhaps). This way we can watch the action live and also record it for later.

Let's hear your ideas for the challenge rules!

Just to expand on Nils’

Just to expand on Nils’ post, the robot must be able to make random selections from a pool of names. There are five prizes, and just in case we want to pull 5 alternate winners. So we need 10 names picked.

The rules for the drawing will be that the first name picked gets their choice of the prizes, the second name picked gets their choice of the remaining, etc. So the robot challenge must be able to support that.

Ideally, the winner of the challenge would have their robot pick the winners for the donor drawing on a live video stream (on YouStream, perhaps). This way we can watch the action live and also record it for later.

Let’s hear your ideas for the challenge rules!

More detailed specification

Thank you IG. Have added your expansion to the More detailed specification

My 2 cents

Picking an item that physically contains the name of the donor may be a bit tricky.

Picking exactly one small piece of paper at a time may take a bit of fiddling to get right.

Putting each piece of paper in a more manageable object such as a ping pong ball or some other small/cheap container may be labor intensive for the organizer too.

So my two proposals are:

1. Make a robot that can throw a dice and possibly read it too (this could be easily done using a largish color coded dice, a photoresistor and a RGB led). The number generated by throwing the dice is then used as an index in the list of donors.

2. Print the randomized list of donors on A4 sheets so you can cover the floor of a room (maybe make a maze out of the pages? in the shape of LMR?) and have SHR type robot walk around randomly, placing markers on the names at random time intervals (could also make a mark with a sharpie). Each name should be printed on a sufficiently large area compared to the marker so that a marker is more likely to land completly within one name in order to reduce complaints. Maybe have a line sensor and make sure you don’t drop a marker on a line dividing the names - this could ba a bit too much though? 

I just realised…

… you wanted rules not solutions :slight_smile:

Challenge rules proposal

1. The challenger must set up a system that can pick a list of 10 names from a provided list. The list of names will probably be on the order of a few hundred.

2. The system must provide a way to determine the order in which the names were picked.

3. The system must be fair. (This may seem easy but it is hard to create a physical random number generator with a uniform distribution.)

4. The system must use an autonomous robot as part of the process of picking a name. Eg, if a dice is used, a robot must throw the dice, or read the dice, or BE the dice :).

5. The system must be as transparent as possible. Eg. A robot printing out a name on a lcd is not very transparent unless you can show how the code works step by step as the choice is made.

This is a fun idea! We could

This is a fun idea! We could have the robot do the drawing live on the Robot Party, and have the recording put up on YouTube! :smiley:

Ok, I know everyone should

Ok, I know everyone should play fair here on lmr. I really trust you lmr people … however i think that somewhere on the cam there should be “somehing live”, like a clock, clouds, moving people etc. so we can exlude video editing/manipulation…

Live Draw @ Robot Party

To have the drawing live on a Robot Party would be a superb idea!

Ha ha! I was going to ask

Ha ha! I was going to ask for your advice on how to get ustream tied in with Google+ Hangouts. This is even better!

good abstraction level

Thank you Antonio. I think this is the right abstraction level of rules. Precise enough to open the problem space but not to specific to narrow the solution space.

Right

I always assumed that the challenge is to demonstrate a system that can do the draw, the actual draw should probably be broadcast live

This does mean that you need a robust setup :slight_smile:

I have so many ideas … :slight_smile:

it should be a mechanical

it should be a mechanical solution. throw a dart on a wall with all the names on a sticky note, throw a dice (assign names before the draw), the beads thing from IG, names in ping pong balls without outer markings and all the same color picked by a autonomous robot, all this is fine ;-) 

oh…how about using the bipeds which are supposed to have a online football match in a death match? Group the donators and let them fight their prize. last standing robot wins and goes to the next stage. 

Ha ha. So many great ideas

Ha ha. So many great ideas and comments.

I think we’ll get the challenge issued very soon, so you’ll be able to put your ideas to the test!

wrap up the findings?

Do you want to give it a try to wrap up the findings we have from this forum?

I can’t get to it until

I can’t get to it until tonight. Feel free to create the challenge page.

Live Draw @ Robot Party

As I see this is what we’re going to do:

https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/31801#comment-82114