Dobot wiring and communication

Hi!

I require your help regarding a problem I’m encountering.

I have a Dobot M1 (SN DT2118030991) purchased from RobotShop. I have 3 questions regarding the same:

Q1. The wiring connection for the serial port connection to the extension line of RS232 interface has the following color convention right: Yellow wire in first slot; empty second slot; blue wire in the third slot and brown wire in the fourth slot. This convention is as per the user manual issue v 1.3.4
I have also attached the relevant screenshot of the connection as an attachment. My doubt has stemmed from the fact that the color convention is different in different versions of the user manual and also the wires were plugged in a different order when we received them

Q2. Similarly I need to verify the wire ordering for the emergency stop switch. Is it Yellow-Red-Blue-Brown?

Q3 My third question is : I need to confirm if I require both LAN and a serial port connection or just serial connection suffices? And can I have just a LAN connection without a serial port connection

Troubleshooting steps already taken:
I have powered on the Dobot and installed M1Studio and connected the robot just over LAN. II’m unable to connect the PC to the robot probably because I don’t have the serial connection established due to the wiring confusion.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Hello @random9 !

Regarding to Q1 and Q2, I just found this illustrating image:

Then you just need to identify in the wire connection which one match that description (source).

Regarding to Q3, I just read the user manual and it seems you need the serial connection to control the robot and it is mandatory to configure the IP Address of your robot, have the serial port active (Section 5.5.3 ).

Hope this could help you and we could see your robot in robot projects.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. This diagram, is for DT211811xxx and later while my robot is the older model. Even if we assume that the pin configuration is the same, my doubt is more regarding which wire goes into which slot. If you consider Q1, I need to know if the order should be like the image I attached Yellow-Blank-Blue-Brown? Since when I received the wires plugged into the interface, it was Yellow- Blank-Brown-Blue.

So my question is nor more on what the pins mean but more on which wire corresponds to which pin.

Thanks

Hello @random9 !

I don’t know which wire correspond to which pin exactly, sorry. I suppose every color wire should be identified, that’s why I send you their names or functions so you could identify them. I’m not sure if they came with a physical manual or something like that.