Do we want a LMR WhatsApp or WeChat group?

A while back I asked Frits what he would think about a WhatsApp or a WeChat group for LMR. 

Recent events about WhatsApp may change a lot but I guess that's a reasonable question if we want a 24/7 chat for LMR or not. The SB is ok for the use on a computer and the SB app is doing it's job as well but it's still not an optimal solution.

What I would like to read below is your opinion about that idea. Do we need a group and if yes, how we are going to do that?

What are the PROS and what are the CONS?

My experience is that both, WhatsApp and WeChat are great tools for communication. You can send text, voice, media in real time to anywhere in the world. I am using both since WeChat is more popular in China than WhatsApp. We use this in our Flickr Photographer group, for planning shootings with models, to connect them with the right people, MUA, studio as well using it for communicating in our company (but not only business related). I am also using WhatsApp because I do have friends in other parts of the world who does not even know Wechat :-)

Please write your comment NOW...and yes, everybody may reply also if you are not a user of either of them.

I really have no idea Lumi.

I really have no idea Lumi. But I read the whole post, and it said comment NOW.:stuck_out_tongue:

WeChat looks popular. Seen lots of advertisements. And with Facebook’s recent takeover of WhatsApp, some LMRian’s might not favour WhatsApp. Whatever we choose, any option will definitely be more effective than the present Shoutbox, though the SB’s class will never be overtaken.

Thanks 6677 and Enigmerald.I

Thanks 6677 and Enigmerald.

I do not have experience in IRC, so I can’t comment on that. But any option would be worth to check out.

I try to avoid anything

I try to avoid anything linked to facebook… IRC would be my wish.

IRC will do the trick. night

IRC will do the trick. night and day, on every platform.

and you can choose the size of the column :wink: