DIY Remote XBee - Going to Teensy 3.1

I think I like this one as it has more room for viewing

Quick update on using the 2.8" tft display with Teensy. As I mentioned in previous post, got the display and touch screen to work, but not reading from the SD card (likewise for 1.8"). Tried hacking on it to find out what was failing.

On another thread on Teensy forum figured out that many are using a different library SDFAT instead of SD on their Teensy (and Arduino), so I downloaded that library and tried the Example QuickStart sketch which worked. From another thread I knew there was an issue with trying to use screen and SDFAT at the same time. Paul(PJRC) suggested a fix to the SDFAT library, so I modified the Adafruit test program to read a bitmap off of the SDCard and display it on the Screen from SD to SDFAT and:
Teensy-Adafruit-2.8-TFT-SDF.jpg

:slight_smile:

Again more details up on the Teensy forum. I have not tried the same change yet on the 1.8" display but I would guess the same

that looks good Kurt. Just got the Teensy but realized I forgot the display. it should be here next week. At least I can learn about the teensy.

Kurt, were you able to a get the oled 160 type display from 4dsystem to work with the teensy ?

I donā€™t have one of their 160s, but as I mentioned have one of the 128s, which is the one currently working in my remote. What I have not tried yet is their larger touch screen. My guess it wonā€™t be a problem using my own code base from before.

Kurt

Update, I dragged out my 4D systems uLCD-32pt. Took me a few minutes to find, then remember I had it connected to 2ndary RPI. Grabbed a couple of servo extension wires and wired it up to Serial 3 on one of my Teensy carrier boards. I then hacked up my prototype remote control program that I was playing with earlier with a couple of nunchucks.
Ripped out most of the guts, but once I had it up and running (had to swap Tx/RX as I had them reversed), the display functions (picaso) works fine. I have the code still displaying logical buttons and defining touch objects and it appear like the touch events are also workingā€¦

I must be doing something wrong as Iā€™m unable to get either that one or my seeed studio touch shield V 1.0 going on the teensy or arduino. Back to the drawing board.

I have the V2 of these, so not sure how much I can helpā€¦ More on the getting the V2s working up on the Teensy forum in the thread: forum.pjrc.com/threads/25718-Ada ā€¦ Teensy-3-1

But you are saying you are not having any luck running on normal Arduino? Which display? This one adafruit.com/products/376 ? Which Arduino? Looks like it uses tons of IO pin(12?). So for example on Botboarduino, probably need to remove most of the jumpers for LEDS/Speakerā€¦ The V2 uses about 5 ā€¦

Kurt

I was finally able to get the oled-160-g1 running on the Arduino using seeedstudio.com/depot/28-TFT ā€¦ l?cPath=73 I picked this up from RadioShack a while and never got around to using it. Well I have the one from adafruit coming soon.

Looks like your having fun, great work Kurt!

Are you planning to use touch buttons only or use some ordinary buttons?

Thanks KĆ„re,

Actually right now I was just curious if the display and code would work on Teensy. I was pretty sure it should, since it is simply a Serial interface (unlike the Adafruit displays I am playing with, which use SPI to communicate). The actual code I hacked up comes from the thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7728&start=15

Not sure what I will use some of these displays for. The 4D systems one, I thought I might attach to a robot, to display some stuff and maybe allow some adjustments. If I were using in a remote, I would probably still want some buttons and the like as the touch input, does not give you the feedback nor is it (or my code) as advanced in processing the touch as different tablets and the like.

Again just doing it for fun while I am busy with some other stuffā€¦

Philtkp - I donā€™t know very much about seeedstudio displays, their discussions for V1 and V2 look similar, but still different. Their WIKI on the V1 (seeedstudio.com/wiki/TFT_Touch_Shield_V1.0)
Their library code would for sure need updating to work on Teensy 3.1 as it mentions ā€œThe TFT library provides the following Application Programming Interfaces(API). The library makes use of direct access to PORT registers instead of Arduino APIsā€

But if you wish to try it on Teensy, you can probably look on PJRC website and forums and like and see if someone has already adapted it.

I donā€™t know if you are also following stuff going on, up on the Teensy forums or not, but some members up there has been playing around some with overclocking the teensy 3s at even higher CPU speeds (forum.pjrc.com/threads/25755-Tee ā€¦ -to-120MHz).

I have downloaded and started to play with it. So far I have tried the display a bitmap on the touchscreen program, which appears to work fine at 144mhz but not at 168mhz. Soon will try the 144mhz and see if the 1mhz AX bus still works.

Keeping busy and trying to have some fun!
Kurt

Thanks for the information Kurt!

Iā€™ve just overclocked mine to 144 MHz and the MX-64 worked fine too. Iā€™ve not tried 3mill bit baud though. (should give an exact /96 divisor). Not sure if Iā€™ll need it, since I plan to combine both AX and MX on same bus. Reading the forum it seems like 144 MHz is the best? I wonder if 192 also would work.

Kurt,
just sent off for a few of the V.03 boards because they had the XBee on it. But just realized it didnā€™t have the Arduino headers. how much different are the pins on this board to the arduino headers?

Sorry, I am a little out of it right now, but will try to give a short(er) answer.
The pin layouts are reasonably different. That is the one with the XBee does not have Arduino headers. The one with headers does not have XBee hookupā€¦ I thought about making a combination one that has both,
but size would get bigger. Note all of the IO pins that go to the shield are available for use.

You can see some of the differences int he following photo.

Who knows maybe in a bit I will take a look again at combiningā€¦

Kurt,

Just went ahead and ordered some with the arduino headers too. So now I going to assemble it on a bread board till it all arrives
Thanks

Kurt,
I was able to get the Adafruit TFT shield working on the Teensy :smiley:2014-05-17 21-36-57.860.jpg tomorrow Iā€™ll try the DIY remote stuffThanks

Are you using the updated libraries, I posted up at forum.pjrc.com/threads/25718-Ada ā€¦ Teensy-3-1 ?

I had some cheap jumper wires that had no connections to the pins. Think I got them at a swap meet and yes Iā€™m using the libraries you posted

I am not sure if there were any changes made in the Adafruit_gfx library or not, donā€™t see any ifdefs that would mater much.

What are you using to test? I started off using the graphic test program that is an example under the adafruit_ili9341 library. Also something that hit me testing out some other stuff, you should check where your Arduino 1.0.5 is installed in the libraries folder, to make sure that you donā€™t have the ili9341 installed there (I think the Teensy installer might do so). This would take priority over the one in your sketchbook libraries folder.

If you get it built, in setup on some of these apps, I add something like delay(2000); at the start to allow me to click on the terminal monitor button in the ide, to see if/what any debug messages may come up.

Not sure if it would help or not, but for the fun, I hacked up my 4D systems touch screen program remote control test program, that I posted a picture of a few days ago, to run on this display. It is not 100% there yet, as I have not figured out how to do a few things yet, like vertical scroll the textā€¦ But it does display some simple ugly buttons and sliders and does respond to pressing buttons and to slide the sliders up and downā€¦

So you can always try it out and see if it works. Again WIP (more like playing in progress)
Teensy_Adafruit_Touch_Test-140518a.zip (17.1 KB)