DIY custom 2.4ghz RC radio system for robotics

If you have them machined down, don’t you loose the brass inserts?

Alan KM6VV

I guess he lost it and use plastic screws direct in plastic ?
Maybe…

Maybe.

The case would also have to be “countersunk” (?) to take the lid again…

Actually not hard to do on a mill. And I suppose drilling and inserting the brass inserts (again) wouldn’t be that big of a problem. The inserts are to be preferred. They take the cover screws better, and don’t ware out.

Alan KM6VV

The case bottom accepts #4 tapping screws. The cut down case will not accept the old lid without more machining. Not a problem as we don’t use it.

You use the box upside down, and open on the bottom?

Not important, just curious.

Alan KM6VV

I have no idea what you are asking me.

No… The box has a lid. We threw the lid away, and made a lid plate out of lexan to fit the components of the radio. :\

Sweet, thanks Jim.

If anyone’s interested interested, I’m going to be using a parallax Propeller in mine. I just finished designing a PCB for it. It will be using a XBee Pro and has support for 8 analog channels one dedicated to reading battery volts and 32 digital. The digital inputs are split between the 4x4 keypad and 16 additional switches, all matrix-ed together using a 4-bit input buss and an 8-bit shift register. It also supports an Parallel LCD in 4bit mode. There’s even a Micro SD Card socket on board for data storage and maybe even running scripts.

Sounds like a nice setup. I assume your board has to include some AtoD chip and the like. If I were to build one with a different Non Basic Micro platform, I would be tempted to use an Arduino Mega as It already has 16 analog channels as well as a ton of IO lines. But the current version with the Bap28 is serving me well!

Kurt

I am realy interested in that…!

I was thinking about doing one for myself… but don’t have all the knowledge…!

Jim, i may have missed it, and im sorry if i have but do you have a Step by Step Tutorial on the DIY.system?

Yes, I’m going to use a MCP3208 8ch 12bit ADC. As your probably aware the propeller doesn’t have an onborad ADC.

Yes I noticed that when I ported the phoenix code over to a propeller. luckily the default phoenix does not have any required use for AtoD but it can always come in handy, for doing things like checking the voltage of the battery…

Kurt

This sounds very similar to what Quantum (Paul) are working with:

Cool so I wont be the only one going down the prop path.

Found some cheap Hitec Laser 4 radios. There trainer versions but the hardware should be the same. I picked up two and there’s still 4 left.

cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-HITEC-LASER-4-TRAINER-BOX-/230568161430?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35aeeef096

That’s a good find… !

I also find that

hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9042

You might be interested in this radio:
hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor … oduct=8991

It is a fairly good hardware, only the firmware is… crap.

Hence, some people made a new one:

code.google.com/p/er9x/

I did that, and ended up with:
16 channel (!) 2.4GHz all-purpose radio (you can link 2 8ch Rx at the same time, the 2nd one will then manage ch 9-16)
backlit screen
2-cell “protected” Li-ION battery - takes forever to discharge (20hrs or so)

and cheap, too.

BTW:
If you replace the original 2,4GHz system with the Jeti-Kit, you’ll get the Jeti telemetry-return signals on the Tx display (no Jeti-Box required)

I have bought exactly that radio … you’ll get an rapport…

I was aware of that transmitter. But didn’t know you can hack it that way…!
I will look to see what can be done !!!

Tanks a lot

PappaNiklas: did you already have it. or just order it ?