Distance sensor controlled robotic arm

Hello, let me start by saying that I have never used/learned about robotics or engineering. I joined the forum to seek advice for a set-up I think would help me with some experimenting I am doing. I will 25 separate frozen samples in 25 separate cups of 2 inch diameter.

I need to get an FTIR probe lowered to a distance of 0.5 mm or 1 mm from the surface of the ice in the sample. Since these will be different chemical compounds then they may have a variable height in the sample cup. So to remove the problem of constantly having to unscientifically measure 1 mm each time, I thought that maybe I could use a robotic arm.

The arm would hold the FTIR probe and lower it to the surface of the ice. A sensor would calculate the distance and stop the probe 1 mm from the surface. The sensor could not use a method that would heat the ice surface in anyway, I have to keep it frozen.

I would really appreciate any guidance as to (1) if this is possible? (2) if it is any equipment recommendations (robotic arm, sensor) and (3) I would love to be able to keep costs down.

I appreciate any help you may provide.

1 Like

Hi @pongor and welcome to our forum!

You have an interesting project.

Is this setup planned to be in some industrial environment, or at your home, or at school or something else?

Do you have any sketches or drawing of what you imagined? It would be easier to understand.

Thank you.

Hi ,

Thank you for responding and your questions. This is for a series of experiments I must run for school. The old method was to manually adjust the probe to within 1 mm of the surface of the ice. Very imprecise, and opened us up to criticism - and rightly so. The sample containers are 120 mL Tite-rite containers with an approximate diameter of 2 inches.
My idea was that a robotic armed controlled by a sensor would lower the probe until it was within 1 mm and then halt. The sensor cannot be anything that may melt the ice surface as this would create issues with the FTIR readings. Then was the readings were complete retract the probe.
I am sure it can probably be done, but I need to do it as cheaply as I can because the University probably won’t pay for it.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @pongor

Thank you for your reply.

For start, you can see Robotic Arms that we sell here: Robotic Arms & Grippers - RobotShop

Based on your budget, you may know what is suitable for you and what is way out of your league.

Do you know what is the weight and dimensions of the probe that robot would carry? What distance does it need to pass?