DFRobotShop Rover

I haven’t mounted the sensor yet but I’m planing on doing it soon. Here is two videos of my robot

youtube.com/watch?v=6mr43_r6IiI

youtube.com/watch?v=jzWukKs6tMQ&feature=related

I was wondering if anyone can help me, The usb serial thing that is on the robot, started to come off. So I heated up my soldering Iron and and soldered it back on. Some excess solder got on the side of the tank and when I plug it into the computer it doesn’t work.

any help?
thanks

Here is the photo of the usb/serial port. I couldn’t get the camera to focus completely on the port. I will try my best to describe it. There is solder on the side coming up to approximately halfway of the usb on one side. On the other side it is similar, with extra solder.
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/Mark_Landergan/DSC_2897-1.jpg

I know its definitely something wrong with the usb because it works when I use the battery. If the there is too much solder on the usb, would that affect it?

I took some better photos
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/Mark_Landergan/CIMG0094.jpg
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/Mark_Landergan/CIMG0095.jpg
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/Mark_Landergan/CIMG0098.jpg

What does continuity tests mean? I’m sorry to bug you it’s just that I am a beginner and dont really understand.

I found gnd on the usb port and gnd of the fdi chip. But I dont know what symbol “buzz” is .

I’m still saving up to purchase a multimeter. I examined the board around the usb and I found that the board is burned a little bit near the connection. Would this have an affect?

I’m going to pick up a digital multimeter at radio shack soon. But I lost one of the nuts for the robot because it fell off and there is no spare ones in the spare parts. I went to my local hard ware store and they didn’t have any of that size. Can I buy just the nuts and bolts from the kit? If not do you think home depot would carry those nuts?

I finally got a digital multimeter and it works! I did the test and put one lead on gnd from the usb and the other lead on gnd on the chip and it beeped. So whats next? Also I was wondering were I would be able to buy the nut, not the screws.

I have fixed the problem with the screw and the nut but I still cannot find out where the problem is on the board ); Is there any other way I can upload sketchs? What if I but an xbee module? Would I be able to upload sketchs wirelessly? I’m just getting frustrated…

I just tried plugging in the robot and it works! The only problem is that the wire doesn’t show up in the serial port.

It’s been a while, but I still cant get this damn usb to work! I tryed all the tests and they came out fine, the only way I can get it to connect is when I push the wire in to the usb on the robot and hold it. But it the wire doesn’t show up in the serial port. I am getting very mad and I just dont know what to do.

How long can the rover run at top speed with the 4 AA batteries before significantly slowing down?

When the usb cable is plugged into the robot, is it supposed to provide power to the microcontroller? Simply plugging in the USB cable does not provide power, and I need to turn the switch to on with batteries connected in order to get power to the board. Is there something wrong?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Coleman. The only way I can get power from USB is if I have the Li-SEL jumper in place, and turn the switch to on. From reading your instructions, I am under the impression that simply plugging in USB should provide power without turning the switch to on or having the Li-SEL jumper in place. Is my board behaving correctly or is it defective? Code loads like it should and is able to provide power to the motors from the battery.

Hey Coleman,
Got the new board yesterday, and it is powered from USB now. Only problem is it won’t take power from the batteries standalone. I have to be plugged into USB in order for it to be on. The board also looks to be the older v1.0 without the onboard lipo charger.
Is there a special way to turn it on that I am overlooking?

Thanks

The batteries are oriented properly and at the JST connector, it gives a voltage of 6.1V.
Some solder points look burnt, but I cannot tell if there are any breaks in the circuit.
It powers fine from USB, but is unable to power the processor from the battery.

With USB plugged in, the motor can receive power from the battery when the switch is set to ON.
With USB NOT plugged in, the board doesn’t receive any power from the batteries when the switch is set to ON.

The board arrived and everything is working like it should. Now time to integrate wireless control. For the board I need to return, will I get a UPS shipping label?

Which digital pin controls each LED? I understand the blue LED’s are all tied together, but is there a single table that relates digital pins (e.g. for digitalWrite) to the LED on the rover? I can tell some from the sample programs, but did I somehow miss it in the manual? For instance, it appears digitalWrite(13,HIGH) sets LED “L” on, and digital pin 8 controls LED 3. These mappings of pin to LED would seem to be unique to the rover and not a general Arduino question. Can you point me to the correct documentation?