Designing the chassis

Hi ! 

Im trying to make my first robot chassis. I ran into some problems: Where to make the holes for the tires and such. My concern is the things wont align up so the wheels wont be straight. I saw some of you guys having these super cool design plans where everything is straight and good to go. How do you make these? What programs do you use? 

Thanks

My first robots were built
My first robots were built before I had access to 3d packages - sketch up was becoming popular, but I wasn’t good at it.

My first robots were Lego.

The ones after that I just took a square of base material, usually a foamed plastic between thin sheets of paper, or plastic. Then I measured and usually I used continual rotation servos which are easy to stick onto a base with either nuts and bots or industrial Velcro.

I stuck the rest of the bot together like that.

Then I modified a large RC tank from Walmart. And then I went on to slightly better techniques for building bases, but I’m still building them from plastic, aluminum extrusions (I like the 1010 extrusions from 8020 on ebay), and wood. I wish I had the equipment for metalworking but for anything more than trivial I can send that out to a shop.

Seriously, look at what you have around. Somebody posted a cardboard Rubik’s cube solver here once! Your first robot is an experiment, it’s getting your feet wet. I wouldn’t expect it to look as good as the robots after that unless you were already a skilled model maker or something. You will learn the techniques soon enough with practice. Robots don’t have to be perfect.