DC Encoder Motor replacement

Hey there. Noob dad here! Ultimate kit 2.0 - 4 questions :smiley:
Thank you all so much for your patience with me and thank you for your help!!

1. Stupid question about the MegaPi - can you use the encoder motor port and the (2) motor ports at the same time? IE: Are they the same outputs or different?

2. I have found a few links for encoder motor replacements, but the links I have found are outdated and inactive. Does anyone have a recommendation to find a replacement? (9v, 185 RPM)

3. I have found 9v, 185 rpm motors which are not encoder motors. In your experience, are encoder motors really necessary?

4. IF you do not use an encoder motor on the ‘manual joystick’, will the controller understand how to turn? Or will you need to use 2 separate joysticks (one for each motor)?

1 Like

Hey @Darby and welcome to the forum!

I haven’t used this kit, but I will try to give some answers :slight_smile:

1. Do you maybe have a datasheet for this MegaPi board? In general, encoder port should read out signals from encoder, and motor port should give voltage to the motor. So these two are different things, but it would be best to check this in the board datasheet.

2. I’ve found this one MB 80038: DC motor, 9 V DC, 185 rpm at reichelt elektronik But I guess you are in Canada right?

3. If you want to know the position of the shaft of the motor, you need an encoder. If you don’t care about the position, then you don’t need an encoder.

4. This question is very product specific. Did you assemble product? Which code are you using?