Current "Leakage"

I am using the following components, and I’m experiencing what I can only call “current leakage” through the receiver.

Eclipse 7 R/C transmitter
Optima 7 receiver
Sabertooth 2x25 dual motor controller
(2) 24 VDC PMDC motors

What I am experiencing is that when I power up the system, everything is fine. My board has power, my receiver has power (I have tested it both with external battery pack and with 5V control voltage from Sabertooth). When I turn on the remote transmitter, everything is fine, usually. After I run the motors for a few moments, I return the remote joystick to the “0” or “home” position, and the motors keep moving. I can adjust the trim on each control to get them to stop (sometimes), but that’s not a solution anyway, only a stopgap. When I turn the transmitter OFF, one or both of the wheels continues to turn. When I unplug or turn off the Optima 7 receiver, the wheels stop turning. It’s as if the receiver is storing or remembering the signal input from the transmitter after it is turned off. Has anyone experienced anything similar? If so, what is the solution? I have the following possible theories, but there may be others.

1. The receiver is defective.
  2. I am getting interference from somewhere that is confusing the receiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

It seems that you are having some connection issues. Is the RC receiver GND common to the motor controller communication GND?

Also, if the receiver getting enough power? Can you provide a clear picture or a diagram of your connections?