current flow

05102011098.jpg (338201Bytes)

Hi guys, I have attached a schematic that I am have some trouble analyzing, using Kirchhoff’s current law, how will the current flow through R4 and why is it in that direction?

im using a circuit simulator

im using a circuit simulator found at http://www.falstad.com/circuit/ … i recreated your schematic and found that the current flow is flowing from right to left in that section then down through R3 and then goes left to right …  as to why its going that direction … i persume the two power sources are different … thats the way i took it anyway … and using a lower power on left side than on the right this is the way it works … if you make the left power sourse lager than the one on the right the current in that section then changes direction.

As to why this happens i dont know as im only learning. 

The way i got it was the

The way i got it was the same, for the first loop from V1 I got I1=I2+I3. Since I2 and I3 is exiting the junction after R1, I2 then goes through R4 and I3 then goes through R3. But since I2 is not part of V1’s loop I got          I1-I3=360V.

Then for V2’s loop I got I2+I4=I5, so the current goes from +V2 through R2, enters the junction, joins with I2 and exits as I5 that then goes through R5. So I got I2+I4=I5 +440V.

I have constructed the circuit on LTspice and checked the readings, so can manipulate my equation till I get it right, but then I still won’t have sold rules to follow in the exam. And unfortunately the book we are using is not use full at all, it has more errors in it than you can possible imagine.