Convert my pc into a raspberry pi

howdy

I'm looking to convert my desktop into a pretend rasp - I know it sounds odd - bear with me.
My aim is to have my rasp (model B rev 1.0) running independently as a fully functional oscilloscope / pattern generator with alterable voltage output, little Nokia LCD screens and the like as a first stage in my new robot design - and after a nights hard thinking I came to the conclusion that my best bet  would be to design the programs on my desktop (with a second python code file linked to ?) and try them out and clean them up there - then transfer the main file to the rasp (also with a second python file linking to the GPIO) and have it autorun.
The thing is - my desktop (like most) lacks the GPIO pins I would need to test out the little boards / LCD screens etc I would be trying out.
I've looked thru the Ethernet rasp / desktop idea, the micro_python, texas instruments, arduino etc and am now utterly lost.
Any ideas on a cheap bit of usb hardware that would allow this? (or indeed a completely alternative way of looking at it?)
I really want my rasp to be the heart of the project as I really like python (and the fact the rasp is much smarter than your average mini puter)

thanks

dom

Raspberry Pi Software Development

If I understand you correctly, you would like to use the power/flexibility/tools of a desktop machine to develop and debug software intended to run on a RPi.

First, it is not an unusual request.

One method is to develop accurate models for all you physical hardware and simulate the system. Probably more than you as an individual might want to take on.

Another method is to develop software stubs for the physical hardware that “sort of” behave like the read hardware. For example, emulate a display as a window on you PC or supply a file of analog values

A third would implement a remote I/O scheme. Build an interface on the RPi that handles the I/O and connect via internet or wifi. As the RPi typically runs a version of Linux having Linux on your desktop and use the Unix networking facility would simplify this approach.

A fourth would be just test small code segments on the desktop and do the real work on the RPi.

A fifth would be utilize a remote desktop. The RPi would do the work but your desktop would be there to allow you to use familiar tools.

If I have added to the confusion it is because I have done all five. In the end it depends on your needs and motivation. I currently favor the fifth as I get to use my current display and keyboard and I don’t have to rework when it is time to use the RPi.

As for a “cheap” usb hardware solution to emulate the RPi I/O pins you do not want to pay my hourly rate to implement it!

woof :wink:

thanks ggallant

Ive tried creation of virtual environments before (I used the Rpi GPIO pins as a teaching tool for python - before i got decoyed by tkinter - its where ive been the last few months) - I was looking now at actual physical creation - if for the only reason that seeing a 64x64 LCD screen bowing to my every move might give me a bit of a push and make me feel that I am actually moving forward.

the Rpi zero looked like a possible - till i realised they were near extinction due to thier popularity.

TI launchpad had potential - till I realised bad reputation and wrong programming language wouldnt do me any favours

micro_python is a bit overpowerfull (and pricy for the job i want it to do)

basically - i just want my desktop to have GPIO pins - and the idea of building my own seemed a bit of a big first step.

dom

Decoyed

Well I never get decoyed, sidetracked, or lose focus. My current brain drain is making a GTK (similar to tkinter) GUI to display data from a small robot. Robot transmits distance sensor, compass heading, tachometer pulse counts, & motor PWM settings to the host  via nRF24L01 radio link. GUI does plots and buttons and basic control functions such as STOP, RUN, set SPEED, etc.

Also have email alert for RPi zero being back in stock.

Can’t even get started with TI.

Can’t spell python given three ties.

Build my own CPU boards cause I can.

Please publish your solution because tools like these allow us to experiment prior to build.