Connecting directly to Picaxe output pin

Referring to the Picaxe Tutorial in Section 1 (making sounds) the instruction

is to connect a piezo sounder directly to the Picaxe output pin and not the 

buffered output connection if the board has a Darlington driver.  I'm not really understanding

what they mean ("connecting directly to the Picaxe output pin as opposed to the

buffered output connection") and I'm hoping someone can explain.  Thanks very much for

the help.

John

Probably the 28x board

They are probably referring to a darlington chip which appears on many Picaxe boards. The darlington chip is a microchip containing a bunch of transistors and other crap that can be triggered by small signals from the picaxe and then turn on/off a much larger load (more current). When doing your audio stuff, this chip is not needed nor would work if it were used. Instead, you should connect directly to the output pin of the picaxe.

What is your set-up? A 28x board? A breadboard?

directly to picaxe pin

Thank  you for the responses.

I am using a 28X1 board, same board that is used for the “start here” robot.

I think I see the logic of bypassing the darlington… so my question is:  When 

the instructions are to “connect directly to the output pin on the picaxe” I’m assuming

one would connect directly to the picaxe microcontroller chip … how

do you do that… . where is the point of connection directly on the chip?

or do I pull out the darlington and proceed to connect to an output pin the board?

Thank you for the follow up.

John

Extra row of pins…

If you look closely between the picaxe chip and the darlington chip itself, you will find an extra row of holes. Sometimes they have a little piece of “tape” covering them. These are the “direct connection” to the picaxe outputs. You can solder wires directly to these holes or solder in a row of pins to then connect to. BTW, these are also what is used when hooking up say, a SRF05 sonar. There is a Frits post about the subject --I’ll see if I can find it.

Crap crap crapity crap.

Yup.

Yup, found it.

The pins you need are “E” (purple/pink) in the picture here.

I see the holes :slight_smile:

Thanks Chris.  You know, I printed out those diagrams Frits had posted with the letters

noting the pins and connecting areas… and the direct pin outputs from the picaxe he shows

(magenta letter E) just never dawned on me.  He refers to node 66 to show an example of using

those connections.  Thanks for pointing this out to me.  I love this CRAP!!!

Good Luck, Spring.

Remember, if you are ever confused by crap or crappy connections or the crap just doesn’t work, you could try a measure-thingie to help you figure out why the crap is not working.

Oh hey, here is a bunch (hundreds) of “ringtones” that the picaxe can play… You have to scroll down a bit and look for “Picaxe 08m tunes” --the links for the downloads are all right there. --Note: these will play on any picaxe.

Very Cool!

I had not seen that page on the picaxe site… or never paid attention to it.

I noticed they have a speech synthesizer and MP3 player add ons.

At some point I’ll have to play with those.  After I learn what I’m doing  :-)

thanks

Wait just a minute

Springload --is this John? Or is this another guy from the Cape?

Wait, just saw the signature

Hey John. --I was about to be amazed that there was 3 of “us” here…

just the two of us

check your email :slight_smile: