Connecting 2 PCs

Forget whatever I wrote. I got a answer to most questions. What goes now is what I want (and can do right now)-

• Connect my laptop and desktop over the network (intranet at start. Internet will come later on).
  • The desktop stores files I do not want to delete (or hasn't reached the 'this is crap for me' status yet) but are not very uselful instantaneously. These are only files which is useful in some way but not required every day (although when they are required, they it is always an emergency situation i.e. 'I need that crap right now!').
  • I'm very limited on budget (I don't know myself how many times I've said it). So I'm not interested in a buying an external hard drive because I can't.
  • Initially, I don't plan to go to the internet (or an online personal server) but I will end up there after I am done with doing my sharing on the intranet (organising my files and transfering the crap out and the good stuff in) as I may come across a situation where crap needed in college is sitting in my home desktop.
  • I'd love to have an organisation of my crap in folders and sub folders and be able to access this file tree from my laptop so I know what crap I have on my desktop and where can I find it.
  • Later stages will also include burning disks online (access to DVD players) and printing wirelessly (access to printer).
  • My desktop will be a server from 9 AM to 5 PM (my college time) only (during later stages of access via internet). I have a wired net at home and no router so that wire will go in my laptop at around 6PM. From 6PM to 11PM, maximum my desktop will do is that it will be an offline server (home server).
  • I want my desktop, which will be my server to be a Linux machine and my laptop will stay with Windows 7.
  • I have no previous experience with servers so tell me stuff like you'd explain to a kid/noob (although I have experience with Linux and Windows).
  • I know some of you have already said in comments the answer to all my questions. I'd absolutely love it if you copy pasted that comment again. I'm a noob so I have no idea about the language you guys used.

And they said learning about basic PC architecture was useless…

You seem to be very confused about what is possible and what you want to do.

Here is some info for you:

First of all to answer your question: "Is it possible to connect 2 Computers to run simultaneously?"

Yes, you can connect two computers to run simultaneously. All you have to do is power them on and they will run simultaneously.

And now, regarding your objectives:

• Connect my 2 computers so that the RAM and CPU memory is shared.

This is impossible*. What is CPU memory anyway?

* as TinHead and birdmun mentioned, there are some distributed computing systems that allow processes(programs) to “see” a network of computers as one big computer but that is useless for you.

• Read the PS/2 ports to which my keyboard and mouse for the desktop is connected using my laptop.

I’m not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Do you mean you want to a) connect PS2 keyboard to your laptop or do you want to b) leave the keyboard connected to the pc but use it to controll the laptop? For case a) you can buy an adapter or even make one yourself using an arduino leonardo, although I think a new keyboard might be cheaper than both these solutions. For case b) you can use synergy or an alternative Wikipedia: Synergy

• Use the bigger display with the ATI graphics card on certain occassions. Since the bigger one is separately powered, even though it is non HD, it is much better than my smaller one inbuilt in Laptop.

This should be simple. Your laptop should have a video out connector. You haven’t listed it but I haven’t seen many laptops without a video out… maybe the serial port you mentioned is actually a VGA port? In case you don’t have video out or just don’t want to be bothered with it you can use remote desktop software such as VNC, Radmin, Sub7 :smiley: or even Remote Desktop Connection which is built into windows.

• If possible, run 2 separate OS simultaneously, Kubuntu on my Desktop and Windows 7 on my laptop.

This is certainly possible…

• Share the storage. Store less used programs on desktop and more used ones on my laptop.

You can share the storage using a number of different network file systems, the easiest would be to just use Windows File Sharing, aka SAMBA in Linux. If you want to run kubuntu on the desktop you should be aware that you can’t run windows programs in linux (easily) or linux programs in windows, so you can’t just move a program from the laptop to the desktop. You may be able to install rarely used windows programs in a shared folder on the desktop but you will still have to open the program from the laptop and some programs may have problems when running like that.

• Share my Torrent Download on my 2 PCs using 2 differnent networks in 2 differnet locations.

I don’t think this can be done automatically without some serious programming. In fact, I don’t think this can be done manually unless the torrent contains multiple files.

I am guessing an extra network card is

not in the cards either? With an extra network card you should be able to share your internet connection through your desktop. A wifi dongle should even allow you to make an access point.