Connect Arduino to Lynxmotion Smart Servo (LSS)

Hi everybody!

I require your help regarding a problem I’m encountering.

I have the Lynxmotion Smart Servo (LSS - ST1) Which is installed on a Base Rotate (G10) as described here:

and also I have an Arduino UNO (https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-uno-rev3)

It should be noted that I am really new in this field and this is my first attempt to work with the LSS and Arduino.
My goal is to connect the Arduino to the ST1 and with the help of a code written in the Arduino to rotate the surface of the G10 each time at an angle I choose.

My problem is that I do not know how to create a connection between the Arduino board and the ST1 using the cables I have (Radio Control (RC) cables - red, yellow, black, cyan and another set of Serial Multiples cables - all black).

should I have the LSS - Adapter Board to have a connection between the Arduino and the ST1?
(https://wiki.lynxmotion.com/info/wiki/lynxmotion/view/servo-erector-set-system/ses-electronics/ses-modules/lss-adapter-board/#HArduino)

Next I will need the code that make the surface to rotate to an angle that I will write to it, in the end I want it to rotate 360 ​​degrees.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

1 Like

Hi,

Welcome to the RobotShop Community :slight_smile:

The LSS Adapter provides a simple and straight forward way to interface the LSS to an Arduino Board. However, having the board is not mandatory for connecting the servo to the Arduino board. To directly connect an LSS to an Arduino board without the LSS Adapter, using the Arduino’s hardware serial pins, you can connect LSS actuator’s Tx pin to the Arduino’s Rx (digital 0) and LSS actuator’s Rx pin to Arduino Tx (digital 1) while the LSS is powered through the VCC and GND pins with a 6V-12V power supply.
You can take a look at the LSS Pinout Wiki page to know which pin is which.
Since you have an Arduino UNO (that has a logic voltage level of 5V) and the LSS has also is rated for a logic voltage level of 5V, you don’t need to add a voltage level shifter between the two.

You can use the LSS Official Arduino Library.
The examples included into the Arduino library might be very helpful and could be a good way to start writing Arduino code for the LSS.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the accurate explanation! Everything works and the base rotates properly.

3 Likes