Communication port problem with ponyprog2000

Hi,

I am trying to program AtMega8 with pongprog 2000 in xP.

my system has a  parallel i/o port card and have installed a parallel port onto my computer as it was not previously available.

I am getting the problem "Communication port not available    

(-16)".When i go to interface setup +parallel+avr isp i/o all my LPT ports are disabled although when i check device manager it says PCI_LPT(LPT3) is installed and working properly!Please reply fast ....I am stuck here and its urgent )-:

first question

how did you add a parallel port?

Hi birdmun,The parallel port

Hi birdmun,

The parallel port was not present when i upgraded the system,so I had it excusively installed.As I was out on an errand at the time I am assuming the person installed some kind of card .The cd I have with me says" PCI Serial andParallel card driver and application" so I presume a card was added.Anyway I ran the driver exe file in the cd after which it said new hardware found LPT port.

I am trying the circuit given below http://elecrom.wordpress.com/2007/10/15/make-your-own-ultra-simple-universal-avr-programmer/

Any suggestions would help…Thanks!

I am sorry to say …

that I will be of almost no use to you. I was just wondering if you had tried ‘adding’ a parallel port by way of a usb to parallel adaptor. Those are all good and well for some printers, but, are worthless for actually trying to use something that wants a parallel port for connection. The voltages that a standard port have are not available on a usb - parallel adaptor.

While I can not be of any use to you, I am sure one or more of the brains around here will be able to give you pointers.