Choosing right hardware

Hi 

I am quite new to robotics and started my studies in robotics like 3 months ago.

I bought the robot arm in the link below, I want to get rid of the Wired controller and install a micro controller to program and move the joints/ grippers.

Its has 4 motors installed, and uses 4 x D batteries to operate

https://www.robotshop.com/en/owi-535-robotic-arm-edge.html

Few questions:
1) what type of micro controller would be suitable for this purpose? can you give me specific model?
2) what other hardware i need to purchase along with the microcontroller?
3) Each revolute joint shouldve an angle sensor too? in order to be able to have percise move?

Thanks

Hi,

1) You could use any mircocontroller, the Arduino is a very common and well documented one.

2) you would need one motor controller for each motor so 5 in total.

3) That’s true, you might want to by some potentiometers (which you could hook up to the arduino too)

Extra : as you mentioned you need 4 x D batteries, I recommend using 4 x AA batteries because they are way cheaper and the only reason why they use D size batteries is because they support the arm with their weight. You would need a different battery case though as well as a weight you can put in the base instead.

I hope that helps you, feel free to ask any questions !

you can buy a 5 channel (or more) RC unit

buy a multichannel rc controll and a receiver which has support for servos(pwm outputs) then wire up the main robo-arm board to the receiver and power it on :wink: