Carpet Rover progress [Feb 2010]

Hi, everybody! :D

Finally, I have put my hands on Carpet Rover and his dock station, and did something physically to them, instead of planning and thinking a lot :D ... So, I finally installed XBee chip into my Carpet Rover :) Right now it has only power coming to it, one LED for ON status and DOUT connected to Picaxe input pin so 02 can now read data wirelessly, but... here comes my first disappointment: 02 running on 4 CServos, and stops whenever I want to read serial data from XBee... Doh!!... Whatever, I was not panning to use 02 with RC over XBee anyway, so that is not much of deal here...

IMG_1352.jpg

This is my "utility" board which is connected to Picaxe 28 board with lots of messy wires :)

Next is guts for dock station:

IMG_1355.jpg

which are: Picaxe Connect board featuring XBee and 18X chips, board for relays, darlington driver, etc, and IR beacon board with dedicated 08M chip. So, I moved to coding, and second frustration was when while reading through manual I discovered that 18X does not support serrxd command which I was hoping to use... I prepared some test code which basically sends commands from dock station to Carpet Rover via XBee making it move back and forth. Code is kinda glitchy and misses some commands due to timings, but I'm happy so far :) I will attach little video of setup in operation soon :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIWMWew8MTU