Can I use off axis wheels for my robot

I’m making a robot out of a TV remote control but my motors are just a little too long to put on the same axis for the front wheels (rear is a caster), so I put them slightly offset from each other by maybe 1/2 inch center to center. Will this work? It will look strange for sure. Both motors will have control on them for steering. to reiterate: one wheel will be about 1/2 inch forward of the other wheel, off axis. I don’t see a problem, do you?

1 Like

It’s possible to make robot this way. There will be no problem in the electrical connections. But some issues may arise. You want your robot to move, right? At the time of moving, there may arise balancing problem.

1 Like

Hi @queenidog and welcome to the forum.

Maybe you can provide some photos so we can have a better look :slight_smile:

@queenidog Welcome to the RobotShop Community.

It sounds like this is what you mean?

• Dark grey: Wheel
  • Light grey: Motor
  • Brown: Caster

If that’s the case, notice how when you want to turn in place, the wheels are not located at the center of the turning radius, and will therefore constantly rub sideways against the surface, versus where the wheels are side by side:

Interesting note, and although not directly relevant to your question, the “most advanced tank”, the M1 Abrams, actually has offset idler wheels “road wheels” because of the torsion spring design, meaning the two sides are not symmetrical:

1 Like

Thank you Mr. @cbenson for the graphical explanation.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Yes Cbenson, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do. I should have included a diagram like that. I don’t expect to do to much turning in place, just forward, wide turns. I’m going to try it and let everyone know.

1 Like

Good to know. As you might suspect, it’s really not an optimal configuration and I’m not aware of any advantages to that versus a symmetric design.

1 Like