[Call For Reviewers] LIDAR-Lite 3 Laser Rangefinder High Performance

Hello LMRians!

We just received this pretty awesome LIDAR and we're looking for one member to give their perspective on it! And kick-off the 2018 review season!

We're looking to get a presentation of the product and ideally a demonstration in a robot application.

The LIDAR-Lite 3 Laser Rangefinder High Performance (LLV3HP) is the ideal high-performance optical ranging solution for drone, robot or unmanned vehicle applications. The sensor is housed in a durable, IPX7- rated housing and includes all the core features and user configurability of the popular LIDAR-Lite v3. This easy-to-use 40-meter laser-based sensor is ideal for use in outdoor or harsh operating environments. Updates to our proprietary signal processing approach and hardware improvements have resulted in a sensor with improved performance and accuracy, making it the best choice for applications where a high-performance, rugged ranging sensor is required.

The only requirements for this call for reviewers are :

We'll pick out one member who will receive the product for free and review it for the rest of the community.

You know you have only one thing left to do at this point.

Just write in the comments section why you're the best person for this task.

Wow, what an awesome sensor

Wow, what an awesome sensor I would love to try this out on one of my many robot platforms that I am working on.

Room navigation/Obstacle avoidance has been a study of mine with the arduino. I can see testing this out on a wheeled unit and a walking unit.

In the past I have used Logitech webcams and VB.NET to scan for pixel changes and utilized the pythagorean theorem to detect the distance to an object. I have used the ultrasonic sensors and found them not to be accurate. The best I have found so far is the sharp IR distance sensor which uses light much like the LIDAR does. This would make for a very interesting review and experiment in object detection and room navigation.Also I would lilk to see how a LIDAR does against black or dark object as the sharp IR sensor does not fair well.

Essential differences

After a websearch I finally found the spec differences.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/557294#specs

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/578152#specs

A summary of LIDAR-Lite v3 vs LIDAR-Lite v3HP:

22 g vs 34 g

v3: Accuracy: +/- 2.5 cm at distances greater than 1 meter. Refer to operating manual for complete operating specifications.

v3HP: Typical accuracy: +/- 2.5cm at distances greater than 2 meters (Refer to operating manual for complete operating specifications)

v3:Update rate: up to 500 Hz

v3HP: Update rate: Greater than 1 kHz 

v3: Current consumption: 105ma, idle; 130ma, continuous

v3HP: Current consumption:  65ma idle; 85ma during acquisition 

Finally the v3HP has a sturdier and bigger case than then v3.

So in summary, the v3HP has less current consumption, double the sample rate, but only good accuracy starting at 2m vs 1m, and is a little heavier and bigger but sturdier.

Using the Lidar-Lite has always been a bit imprecise for near ranging, so that might be a consideration as well.

For near ranging, VL53L0X (also available at Robotshop) might be a better option.

I would love too!

I could use something to blog about on my youtube channel. I think I would be perfect for this because although I have used proximity sensors in the past I don’t know much about lidar where I could know much more about it. Trust me if anyone should be able to review this it should be me. I will use it on so many projects it will be so much fun lol. Thanks! I hope you pick me!

DIY Robocars

As the founder of diyrobocars.com.au, I’d really appreciate the opportunity to test this LIDAR unit on one of our 1/16th scale self-driving cars. I’ve also written reviews and articles for roboticsaustralia.org.au and other robotics related websites.

Congrats!

Congrats JeffRo! You have been selected to handle this review! You will receive the LIDAR shortly! We’re looking forward to seeing your project :slight_smile:

Thank you so much, I am

Thank you so much, I am excited to get to review the LIDAR. Looking forward to receiving it and putting it to the test.

I want to know that lidar lite v3 is compatibe for drone mapping of not?