Call for reviewers Leap Motion 3D Controller

Update 12th November 2015:

Hi all! We have the winners for this review: 
  • Orionbot
  • Lexisonfire
Both of you will be contacted shortly.
For all the rest please keep trying as any of you can be the next one. Good luck!

Update 4th November 2015:

Hi! Thank you all you who answered for being interested to review. Next week this call for reviewers will be closed. Stay tunned!

Hi again dear LMR members!

Imagine: you move your hands and your robot does what you want. It’s not science fiction. It´s here and you may get one!

Today we have the chance to get for free two nice Leap Motion 3D Controller

by Leap Motion for your reviews.

This non-contact 3D motion capture device detects a user's hands / fingers and allows you to interact in a 3D environment. The manufacturer is really encouraging software development. It´s main specs are (full description here):

• Easy. Motion controller to operate computer with hand movements

• High accuracy. Tracks all 10 fingers up to 1/100th of a millimeter

• Huge space sensor: Senses 8 cubic feet of interactive, three-dimensional space

• Fast! Tracks movements at a rate of over 200 FPS

• Versatile.

• SDK in six programming languages

• Compatibility: Windows 7 or 8 or Mac OS X 10.7 Mountain Lion

• SDK also available for Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS and Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Imagine. You can integrate your Leap Motion Controller with an Arduino, attach it to a head-mounted display like the Oculus Rift, or drive a remote-controlled car over Wi-Fi.

If you want to get a chance just tell in a comment:

1. That you are a member for more than 3 months, with at least 2 publications of enough quality (it is at the discretion of LMR to decide that quality, but they are fair, just try your best!).

2. What would you like to do with one of these Leap Motion Sensors.

3. It´s not compulsory, but at least that you will consider the “Tips on writing reviews at Let’s Make Robots”, specially videos with LMR intro and end.

Between all contestants LMR will select 2 members who will receive it for free and review this nice sensor. Good luck!

Sounds great
I would love to have a play with one of these sensors
I have done a few 3D tracking projects in the past (controlling a Lego mind storm via Kinect) and I have a plan for a nice project.

My use for the leap motion would be a sign language translator. This would capture 3D data of the users hand gestures and feed this info to a neural network.
The neural net would then output its chosen value to some text to speech platform and then play back the audio.

I think getting this working for signs were your hands don’t need to move to express the meaning wouldn’t be too difficult, would have to think about it more to include movement gestures.

I think I would prototype this on a Windows machine for ease, but if there is a nice Linux port available, perhaps migrate it to the Pi at a later date so it could be mobile.
I believe I would use Python for this project as its the language I am Most comfortable with when programming with 3D data and neural nets.

Cheers Francisco.

The Leap Motion Sensor would

The Leap Motion Sensor would make for a fantastic way to control my Dagu Service Droid, VADER. Please see my ealier posts on its assembly. I would find ways to contol the travel of the Rover 5 base, pan/tilt of the head and its two arms and “hands” through the motion of MY hands. In a way it would look like I was using The Force to control VADER!  If combined with a wireless camera mounted in its head for telepresense the affect would be complete. The only caveat is that it may take me some time to complete the incorporation of the Leap Motion Sensor since VADER himself is still a work in progress. Thanks!

Removed

After seeing Orionbot’s submission I’ve removed mine - his is a much, much better project to really get a good review of the product.

My vote goes to him!

I would be very tempted to use this to provide gesture-based commands to a desktop companion I am currently designing. It is based on a Raspberry Pi with a mic and some speakers attached, with an Arduino handling control of pan/tilt servos, PIR sensor, US sensor etc. It is going to have several modes, such as answering questions, taking notes, alarm clock/time-based reminders etc.

I am trying to avoid using a keyboard to switch modes and provide info and I am reluctant to relying solely on voice control, so the Leapmotion would be a perfect solution.

:slight_smile:

That’s great, thanks
That’s great, thanks Francisco, I hope my review will help other LMR users!

Thanks Francisco, this will

Thanks Francisco, this will be an interesting project.  I will endeavour to create something useful for the LMR community.

Great!

Thank you OrionBot!

You have to thank LMR´s team who worked out the winners ;-) 

We look forward for your review!

Good!

Thank you Lexisonfire!

You have to thank LMR´s team who worked out the winners ;-) 

We look forward for your review!

Congratulations chaps!

I really look forward to seeing your reviews, and seeing if this is as good as I hope :slight_smile: