Butler bot "Alfred"

Video 1: In this video, I show the stay alive switch, When I plug in the key, It temporarily powers up the chip, allowing it to activate the relay giving it power when I take out the key so that it can keep the relay running, thus sustaining itself.

Video 2: Alfreds ordering system will be a basic "Record and Play-back system, It is a predesigned and already built circuit board that has a functions as follows:

1. Push button #1 is pressed

2. Record the order

3. Push button #1 is pressed again

4. Send off button (PICAXE) is pressed

5. Recording stops

6. Goes to kitchen

7. Waits for push button #2 to be pressed

8. Plays Back order (as many times as required).

9. Send off button (PICAXE) is pressed.

10. Delivers Order

Video 3: Alfreds Leds are now up and running!

The robot's name is based of of the butler from "The Batman" and may have his voice.  The end goal of this project is for the robot to be able to start at the charger, receive a remote signal, get the order, go to the kitchen to get it, deliver it, then go back to the charger. for now, I'll make a temporary remote, I'll make a more permenent one later. He will navigate via the tile, detecting the grout color as 1 ft. and he will have a small menu on his back. the menu LEDs will be conected directly to the 9 volt through a pushbutton. what you order will be light up. he will also have many function buttons that tell him when each step is complete. Butler bot will also be able to sweep the floor in the same grid pattern used for navigation or wit the sharp IRs.

Right now, all I have is the bare chassis, a hand drawn suit with a bowtie (red LED in center), a back, and two sides with light bars. There is also a bottom with wheel holes (I’ve already made my motor and wheel choices) and a top with a little box for food & Drinks.

It will be one of those “work on it when I have time and enough money” projects, so I’ll have updates below. Here are some other pics I took:

The top, with the head and box (filled with some of his parts)

you can see the bow-tie and wooden side LED bar on his side (three LEDs)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to view the minor updates, they have been moved to the Blog. All the major updates are here with the videos.

Delivers food & drink, sweeps

• Actuators / output devices: 1 super bright LED, 2 rows of blue LEDs, RF transmtter, swiffer
  • Control method: half remote, half autonomous
  • CPU: Picaxe 28x1
  • Operating system: Window Vista 64-bit
  • Power source: 3x AA batterys for picaxe, 1x 9V for motors
  • Programming language: Basic
  • Sensors / input devices: 2 LDRs, 2 shar IR sensors, ALOT of push buttons
  • Target environment: porch, patio, Mostly indoor

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/butler-bot-alfred

Looks good, is a video

Looks good, is a video possible?

Hi and welcome to LMR

Not to dampen your spirit, but I think this project is a bit to advanced for your current building experience. I would recommend you build a “Start Here” robot first and took it from there.
Your idea of navigating using the tiles and grout is interesting although probably not feasible judging by the lack of contrast between the tile and grout. 

** I’ve been looking at LMR**

I’ve been looking at LMR for a while now, and have done some picaxe experimenting. I finally joined when  I started this robot. I’ve also been reading allot abut programming. So I do have some experience.

I’m doing some tests with my tile and grout right now, you’re probably right. If that doesn’t work, I’ll use an encoder/sharp IR combination.

Not yet for the video. When I get my new picaxe chip, I may do one on my stay alive system (soon to be update one).

Welcome and glad to see another practical robot

Remember that we all were new to this at one time. I did not know anything when I started my first scratch built robot but I had a passion to make it. You have a nice start on your robot. You’ll find that you are on a journey of learning. My advice to you is: “Enjoy the Journey and have fun doing it”.

And Welcome…

I really don’t know what

I really don’t know what your circuit in the schematic is supposed to do, but if you’re using the transistor as a switch there probably should be a resistor at the base to saturate it. But then again that might already be in the circuit on the other side of the input plug.

Ps. And if you bring your robot out in the sun, your pictures will probably be much better.

** It is on the board but I**

It is on the board but I guess it just never got into the schematic. On the last and second to last pics you should be able to see it.

** I fixed it.**

I fixed it.

And your update is?..As

And your update is?..

As far as I can see, it’s still just a wooden box with some LEDs and far far away from taking any kinds of orders…

Ehh… It seems that I’m the only one commenting on this robot. Is this some kind of LMR practical joke or is this a real robot project?

** Sorry to disappoint you,**

Sorry to disappoint you, but I’m kind of on a limited budget and can only work on this during the weekends. RF will be the next update and I’ve just now ordered them. Also, this is the first time I’ve ever soldered, programmed, or built anything. Even when I’m not updating, it doesn’t mean I’m not working, I just don’t have the time to do both.

Another Update?

I’ve seen 2 updates go by in as many days… But nothing was changed or added to. Maybe I am not looking closely enough? What was the update?

** I screwed up and had to**

I screwed up and had to move something, sorry guys.