Building a puppet

Hi I am looking to build a puppet with simple movements, arm 5 inches to be able to go up and down , and the head to rotate left and right. I have the head and hands available. I need to construct a simplistic plastic skeleton so the puppet is able to move the arms and head. Do you have a kit for this kind of job available? And if you don’t have can you advice me what to buy. I guess I need a few servos (arms and head), controller WIFI will be preferable , power , some plastic brackets for the skeleton, etc. Since is my first project, i really need someone to tell me what to get to make it happened. Thanks,

1 Like

Hi @adina777 !

Interesting project!

I think RobotShop doesn’t have a kit for this without all parts. Meaning, there is a complete kit with all the servos and the body parts.

See some examples here: humanoid robot - RobotShop USA

For example, you could buy this one, https://www.robotshop.com/products/ez-robot-jd-humanoid-robot, but just use electronic parts without plastic body parts. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much , for your response. I am looking for some sort of idea how I can construct the arms too, the arm is only 5 inches. Its there a video? I need some small plastic parts to put them easily together.

1 Like

Hi @adina777 !

Thank you for your reply.

As I understood, you already have these arms? Are these 3D printed plastic or something else?

You are looking for a way to attach these to a servo?

1 Like

I only have the hands are vinyl so the head. I need to construct the T skeleton from something so I can attach the servos to he arm/shoulder articulation. All will go hidden in a bean bag. I am getting some pictures for you. So you understand what I need. Thank you again. I will be back in a few min.

Hi Igor,
Here are the pictures, The length from one arm to another is 11 inches.
I pretty much need to know what i need to buy to make it happen. Moving the arm up and down from the shoulder. Rotating the head left and right. And i can control with WIFI.

Thank you,
Adina

1 Like

Thank you for the photos.

I don’t believe there is a kit that you just can buy and install easily and that it works as you want. I think you need some engineering, design and try outs.

I still think it would be best to find a humanoid robot kit which has the size approximately the size of your doll and then you try to transfer parts somehow from that robot to your doll. Or, just dress that small humanoid robot with clothes from your doll. That should work.

Can you give me some options, less expensive , so I can go from there. I am certainly sure there should be some cheap robots in small size. I don’t want to destroy a 500$ little robot just to make it happen.

1 Like

Hi @adina777 ,

You don’t have to destroy 500$ robot, just try to put doll clothes on it.

For example on this one: ROBOTIS MINI Humanoid Robot Kit - RobotShop

1 Like

Oh this is cool :slight_smile:
You are the best Igor! Going to give a try .

1 Like

Great :slight_smile: Make sure to check dimensions approximately to see if it would fit: https://cdn.robotshop.com/media/R/Rbi/RB-Rbi-158/img/robotis-mini-humanoid-robot-kit-dime.jpg

1 Like

i checked everything and order it over the weekend. I am going to put it together when is coming and share with you! So excited.
Can i ask you something where i can find a kit for the eyes moving? This is for another project. I got a 3d printer too , so i am thinking to print small plastic parts , but will be easier for me to buy the kit :slight_smile:

1 Like

How big are these eyes? I guess they are very small?

1 Like

the distance between the center of the eyes is 2.5 inches
and the eye is 1.37795 inches. I will say pretty big. And the socket is spacious too.

1 Like

the diam of the eye is 1.37795 inches

1 Like

I think servos to move the eyes are easy to find but the mechanics between the servo and the eyes have to designed specifically.

Here is one idea (you can see on the product photos): Youbionic Robot Head - RobotShop

1 Like

Just what i dream of :slight_smile: Thank you again :slight_smile:

Do you know what is the Microcontroller that he got there?

1 Like

It looks like a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4.

1 Like

i did it over the weekend , took me a few hours… I luv it. the prob is not working with ISO, now i need to look for BT410
Uploading: MINI ROB
MINI ROBOT
OT.jpg…

1 Like