Building a 4-motor speed control system

Like others, I’m trying to build a 4-motor system where I can control the speed (rpm) of each motor independently. However, these motors will have no load attached; I simply want to be able to control their spin and spin direction, each independently.

Generally I’d want motors that can spin up to several hundred or even a few thousand rpm, and a board to control them all that I can send commands to from an Arduino or flight computer or something like that. Optimally, there’d be minimal wiring - I’d rather not have 4 big drone ESCs, for example.

My request is basically, what motors should I get where I can vary the speed greatly without any load, and what controller board(s) should I get to easily control each motor’s speed independently from something like a Raspberry Pi? I’m not exactly on a tight budget, but I don’t want to overspend either.

1 Like

Hi @mbonnet and welcome to our forum.

Are you building a drone maybe or something else?

Do you know which type of motor and which nominal voltage you would like?

If you are building a drone, and you need several thousands of RPM, I guess you would need to use brushless motors.

For example, one simple speed controller for one brushless motor would be something like this: