BS2 BRAT Jr.

Hello,

I want to do a ps2 controlled BRAT Jr. with a Basic Atom, SSC-32 and mini ABB. I have tried to export program from the sequencer… but I don’t realy understand it. Can anyone give me some program that I could build on to.

But, first of all, when I try to plug my Basic Atom into my PC, it says something like my I have to plug my Basic Atom to the computer. I don’t understand the IDE program, like on the BS2 you press the ‘‘run’’ button to load the program onto the BS2. On the Basic Atom editor, there is only compiler and debug… Can someone explain to me? when I get this running, I have the hole week to work on it.

there should be a program button in the compiler, near the top, if not, i think u can program it with F9 (dont take my word for it :laughing:)

ill take a screenshot for u after school and circle all the buttons in red if u want :slight_smile:

some one can probably help u out before you then, so keep urs eyes open for other posts for help, if u can get a screen shot up onto the forums i can help you

btw, robodude666 or I can help with the PS2 code, we both worked on it and we got it to work pretty well PM me and ill get u started :slight_smile:

If you are unable to program, it could be that you need to save the program you are working on as a *.BAS file. If the extension got goofed up it will not allow you to program (program will be grayed out).

Keep us posted on your progress! :smiley:

ok, I will try to see if it’s the .BAS thing when I’m on my good computer. but, when you can chunga, I would love to have your help to understand te IDE, or anyone else… and when I get it to work, well I be abl to work on the project itself :laughing: 8) :open_mouth: :confused:

in the message it says : ATOM must be connected to compile/program/debug… anyone know how to fix it?

The IDE is not finding your Basic Atom. Check your cable connections and make sure you have a good cable. Also check your serial port settings in Windows - this must match the speed the Atom is trying to communicate at.

8-Dale

I am using a USB to serial converter. Where can I find what the speed is?

Depending on which USB -> Serial converter you are using, there may be problems. There is a thread about these issues in the Basic Atom/PRO forum you should check.

8-Dale

I see the button, it’s just it won’t work!! arggg but it’s weird, it worked with a BS2 and mini ABB and with the SSC-32.

Have you tested it on a different PC, perhaps one with a serial port? At least we would know if the Atom and Bot Board is functional. Also, the basics… Are you using the correct IDE? Atom for Atom, Atom Pro for Atom Pro… Have you programmed it sucessfully before?

I only have one computer, so I can’t test it on another one, but I know the mini ABB works, because it worked fine with a BS2. And, sadly I do have the good IDE, it would have been an easy to solve problem :laughing:

so I thouht I would try with the SSC-32 and the SEQ to see if my calbe was well connected. I triple checked every connection, power is aplied to the robot. I tried 5 times with each of my USB ports to connect the robot to my PC via the SEQ. didn’t work, I’m passing everything that I could have done wrong in my head and I don’t know what!! :angry: I think I will go listen to a movie, I’ getting a bit mad…

Make sure the serial cable is screwed on to the board. I had trouble with this once and it’s tough to troubleshoot.

Welcome to my world.
My notebook programs a BS2 fine via a USB-to-serial adapter, but is completely no-go with an Atom Pro. Many different adapters and driver re-installs later, I eventually threw up my hands and stopped calling the microcontroller unflattering names.

My eventual solution was to stop trying to program the Atom from the notebook, and use my desktop at home, which does have a number of true RS-232 ports, all of which work fine. It drastically reduced the amount of time I could spend on programming and debugging, since I couldn’t bang on my programs at work on my lunch break, but “c’est la vie”, I suppose.

ok, but damn, this is my only computer :laughing: it doesn’t have a real serial port… :astonished:

Well, others have reported success with various makes and models of USB-to-serial converters, with various chipsets. I’m sure someone will have suggestions as to which ones have worked for them.

My main machine has one built-in RS-232 port, plus I added a card that gave me an additional four ports, all of which work well for programming the Atom. If you can’t get a standard USB-to-serial converter to work, that might be an option, though it’s much more expensive than a simple plug-in converter.

you’re talking about something like this? Link
but I don’t see how I could connect that to my PC…

Same general idea (internal card), yeah.
It’s installed inside the case as an expansion card.
If your computer is a notebook, or a low-profile case design, something like that might not be an option.
I’d try the suggestions from those who have had success with USB-to-serial converters first. I didn’t get my serial card specifically for Atom programming; I had it for other reasons, and it just happens to work for programming micros as well.

I use a keyspan USB to Serial adapter. It works great on my PC (a desktop with one built in serial port), and on my Mac (a notebook with no built in serial ports). I have not tested the Mac with the basic atom because I have no software for it, but the BS2 works. The only thing is to make sure you have the newest driver. It is kinda expensive at $60 CAD but I have never had a problem with it. The drivers are a free download and they come included with the device. The serial port is RS232 level. Check it out at keyspan.com/ I have the USA 19-HS.

what usb to serial converter r u using,the parallax 1 uses a virtual com port u might have to select it ,i dont have a atom or program so i cant really guess on the problem check what port ur ,

and this begs the question why are all these micros programed from the serial port instead of usb???