BotBoarduino

Hello,
I recently purchased a Botboarduino and a quadruped robot with an SSC-32 Servo controller. I am currently programming it in Python and sending my SSC-32 manual commands using PySerial. It has a Bluetooth BLE Link attached to it and I am sending it commands through the Bluetooth module I purchased.

I am, however, desiring a more intelligent method of walking that is more efficient, faster, and smoother.
I discovered that this can be done using a Botboarduino in conjunction with an SSC-32. I also discovered a GitHub repository containing the code necessary to do this. I, therefore, decided to purchase a BotBoardunio. As I am waiting for it to arrive, I would like to have some questions answered regarding the logistics of my new setup.

First of all, I am aware that you can upload the robot’s code onto the BB. Therefore, I would assume that after you upload the code, commands can be sent to the BB through Python and the BB would interpret this command and pass on the appropriate Servo positions to the SSC-32. However, after looking through the repository, I was unable to find any information or indication as to how I would structure the command I am sending to my robot. Do you know the command structure I would need to send to the robot if I want to tell the robot to go straight?
What library would I need to upload to my robot? Should I just upload the library titled “QuadC_XBee_SSC32” by running the Arduino IDE code within that folder?

Secondly, I have a question regarding Bluetooth communications. Can I still use a Bluetooth XBee on the SSC-32 to send commands to my BB? I would assume that you can just adjust the Tx/Rx jumpers.

Thirdly, if I purchased the SQ3 quadruped what should I purchase so I can mount the BB on top of the SSC-32?

Finally, is the repository I found my best option? Is using the BotBoarduino my best option if I am trying to get the robot to move as smoothly and efficiently as possible? I read that the BB can do IK and other calculations, so I would assume that it is fairly powerful. If I am on the right track, are there any manuals or resources that you would recommend to assist me?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Best,
Christopher

Don’t quite understand the setup - the Pi sends commands to the BotBoarduino which then controls the SSC-32? If not, how is the BotBoarduino involved?

If you’re after just basic walking, you don’t really need the Pi. If you want to do “higher level” programming like vision processing or terrain adaptation (no code available from Lynxmotion - really sorry), then the Pi comes in very handy.

Yes, but you’ll need to tweak the sample code since it’s waiting for input from a PS2 controller. You would need to simply send the appropriate serial commands and change the code to read from the PS2 receiver to read from serial. No specific procedures - you’l ned to read through the code to see which commands it’s expecting to receive and how.

The sample code has quite a lot of commentary. You might start by actually purchasing the PS2 controller / receiver to test, and then experiment.

No specific library - it’s all in the sample code. The only issue people sometimes encounter is they don’t seem to have the PS2 library (available from Bill Porter’s website).

It’s best to use a Bluetooth or IO shield connected to the BotBoarduino. The SSC-32U is intended to be a “slave”.
Ex: robotshop.com/en/gravity-i- … no-v7.html

robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion … robot.html
It already includes the hardware. HOWEVER - note that this specific kit includes the SSC-32 as opposed to the 32U. It’s pretty easy to make the kit using:
robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion … -mini.html (includes standoffs to mount the SSC-32U below the BBduino)
2x robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion … F-BLK.html
2x robotshop.com/en/combo-pack … horns.html
robotshop.com/en/6v-2800mah … ttery.html
robotshop.com/en/wh-01-wiri … ector.html
robotshop.com/en/nimh-nicd- … -1025.html
… and of course the SSC-32U and BotBoarduino:
robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion … oller.html
robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion … oller.html
robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion … er-v4.html (optional)
Useful: robotshop.com/en/sfe-170mm- … wires.html

The Phoenix code is about as good as it gets. The creator did an excellent job. It’s also used on the Lynxmotion A-Pod (check out videos on YouTube).

Honestly, Arduino is limited in terms of processing - when you check out the code implemented there, it’s largely coordinate based. If you want full, real-time IK processing, you’d need to start the same way you did by creating a custom walking algorithm implemented in Python where servo coordinates are constantly fed to the SSC-32U via USB.

Creating proper IK for multi-legged robots (in order to keep the CoG stable) is not straightforward, though it’s been done many times before. Terrain adaptation is a level beyond. Note that FlowBotics Studio has an example of creating walking gaits for the SQ3:
robotshop.com/en/flowbotics … nload.html

Hey,
To clarify my setup, I have a BotBoarduino, SSC-32, and a computer running Python. I purchased a quadruped kit that did not include a BB, so I purchased it separately.

How would I mount this (Gravity I/O Expansion Sheild) onto the BotBoarduino and connect it to the BotBoarduino and power supply? Is there an example of the wiring?
With this, can I just attach my already purchased Bluetooth BLE Link and use my Bluetooth Module?

I already purchased I kit like this, it did not have a BB though. Now, after doing some testing and realizing that the BB is my best option, I purchased a BB. I am wondering what I can buy so I can mount the BB to the SSC-32.

Thank you very much for your help!
Best,
Christopher

The BotBoarduino is shield compatible, and that’s a shield. It plugs right into the BotBoarduino - no additional wiring required at all.

If it’s XBee socket compatible, then yes, you should be able to plug it in, change some jumpers and you’re good to go. Always, always read through the guides before making connections, even when it seems relatively simple.
You’d mount the SSC-32U below the BotBoarduino.