BoB's and filament

I love the invasion of the BoBs! Like a herd of little boxy Android droids. Although I don't have a 3D printer I was wondering how much filament was used to make one of those guys. More that I was interested in the cost involved as to have a better idea on how much to offer someone to make a BoB for me.

Sorry if it's mentioned in a post somewhere, I didn't see it.

Ok, just sliced it again. I

Ok, just sliced it again. I hope you are ok with the metric units :slight_smile:

• PLA 1.75mm filament
  • Fill density 50%
  • Layer height 0.1mm
  • Wall thickness 0.4mm
  • Lenght of filament 28.32m
  • Weight 85.16g
  • Print time 7:13h

Same settings but instead of

Same settings but instead of Infill pattern “line” i chose “Grid hexagonal” and got this:

• Lenght of filament 27.50m
  • Weight 82.67g
  • Print time 7:01h

When I followed TinHead’s settings,

slic3r spit out a 3mm filament length of about 12 to 13m. My layer height was .2 or .25mm. All said and done really no different from what lumi came up with. Like he mentioned, it is a LONG print especially when you lay everything out in one plate. I wish I could show my print off. Too bad my dimensions are off, and, the servos won’t fit. :stuck_out_tongue:

** I thought after typing this. You can download the stl files and you can get a copy of any of the free slicing programs. As long as you have an idea about what settings to use you can get an idea about how much plastic will be used.

You might be able to “cheat” and get shapeways to print a BoB for you. :smiley:

Hey Jax, if you do not mind

Hey Jax, if you do not mind ABS and minor defects, I could print you a set for free. I have red, yellow and blue luminiscent (glows in the dark) filaments.

Incredible offer!

Free? In blue? AND it’s glowing blue??? You don’t have to ask twice… yes, please! If it’s ABS or PLA makes no difference to me. Small imperfections will add character :smiley:

I am a big fan of reciprocation. I will look around for something I can send you that shows my gratitude.

Thanks a google!

My knowledge of 3d priniting verges on nil

Only from lumi doing the hard work did I know that you could get these kind of figures from the slicing program :sheepish look: I thought you’d have to weigh your spool pre-printing and then after printing, or measure lengths of filament… real caveman style measuring. Ah, technology :slight_smile:

This is also the first time I’ve heard of shapeways, thanks. Looks like a useful service for the printerless like myself.

Cool, blue then. It glows

Cool, blue then. It glows after light exposure, but not very light, you know how those things work. send me your address via contact form. Also I cannot promise the timing, it can get dispatched tomorrow or in two weeks :slight_smile: as I am “on shift” at the moment :-):slight_smile:

No worries mate

Speed is not of the essence. Any time is a good time :slight_smile:

That’s what I call a nice

That’s what I call a nice community. Isotope you will receive the award of “Super LMR Member” for that nice gesture :slight_smile:

JAX, the package is on its

JAX, the package is on its way! :slight_smile: