Blue flashing light, after reset fast yellow flashing light

I bought my litter robot 3 in May 2018 and got the sensor replaced under warranty in November 2019. However the same issue returned in February 2021. Cleaned the parts according to the instruction given but no luck. It seems that the sensor lasts between 1 year and 1.5 years based on the stories of other owners here. I cannot find any other solutions other than replacing the sensor every year. Please advise.

Hello @shien87,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Litter-Robot.

Please provide us with your order number if you have an extended warranty.

If not, which sensor are you referring to? the DFI sensor?

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately i do not have extended warranty. Yes, I received and replaced both the DFI sensor and the anti-pinch pins under warranty in November 2019.

Hello @shien87,

Thank you for your reply.

In this case, the DFI sensor needs to be replaced again.

Also, you need to check if the Anti-Pinch pins are starting to get rusty or not to replace them with the sensor.

You can order a new DFI sensor from this link:

And the new Anti-Pinch pins from this link:

Don’t forget to change the country option located on the top right side of the page to your country before placing your order.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Can you advise why the DFI sensor breaks so easily? The replacement cost seems like an annual subscription to me as I have to replace them every year.

Hello @shien87,

It usually depends on the number of cats using the robot and the environment there as the humidity from the urine and the dust could easily affect it in the long run.

We can suggest wrapping a see-through tape around the plastic brackets to seal them and prevent the humidity from affecting the sensors.

Also, try to clean the sensors and Anti-Pinch pins from time to time to avoid any corrosion.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Hi, thank you for the advice. I gave it a last try yesterday before ordering the replacement, by rubbing the isopropyl alcohol on both the DFI sensor board and it works. I will seal the brackets now hopefully it will last for another year. Thank you for the assistance.

Hello @shien87,

That’s great, keep an eye on it and let us know how it goes.

Sincerely,

Hi, today the litter robot stopped working again and the blue light flashing slightly faster than normal speed. It is exactly like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7exM6tbbrs
Do you know what problem causing this?

Hello @shien87,

This is a defective DFI sensor issue, if the cleaning with alcohol didn’t fix the issue this time then the sensor must be replaced.

You can also check how many IR LEDs on the left circuit board of the sensor are blinking to make sure if it’s working or not.

You can do that by looking at the circuit board through your phone’s camera in the darkness.

Let us know how it goes.

Sincerely,

Hi, thanks for the reply. No, I can’t see any blinking LEDs on the sensor in a complete dark room. Actually I had never noticed any LEDs blinking in the past even when it was in working condition. I was just wanted to confirm if it was the indication of DFI sensor fault before placing my order for the replacement. I just ordered the DFI sensor and the two metal pins. Can I know many IR LEDs on the DFI sensor? and the location of the LEDs?

Hello @shien87,

The IR LEDs are only visible through a camera, you won’t see them with the naked eye.

Here’s a blog to explain that and show you where these LEDs are located and how to see them:

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Hi, thank you for the link. I cleaned the sensors carefully by referring to the blog and it’s back to work again. Seems like I’m giving it resuscitation again and again lol. I will just keep the new replacement until this one die completely.

Hello @shien87,

That’s great to hear, let us know if you need further assistance.

Have a lovely day, stay safe.

Sincerely,

Hello there
The two small electronic circuit boards of the dfi sensors are very close to the waste drawer. they are directly under the influence of corrosion because the environment they are in is very humid. It is necessary to protect circuit boards from corrosion. There is a protective clear acrylic coating on the circuit boards. this coating may be damaged in some places. Examine the circuit boards carefully with a magnifying glass. observe corrosion, especially on ICs with multiple pins close together. Carefully clean the rust on the pins with a magnifying glass to prevent contact with other pins.
This may be useful if the circuit conductivity has not been lost due to corrosion.
For this process, completely remove the dfi sensors and do it carefully by disconnecting the electrical connections.
after all, use electronic board clear plastic coating spray to protect circuit boards from corrosion. as an alternative, clear nail polish works well.

1 Like