Bipedal robot help

Hi guys I’m going to college for robotics and embedded systems and want to get a jumpstart on making my own bot. i want to make a bipedal robot if i can but I haven’t a clue as to what electronics/ servos etc. go into it and where I can get a chassis or make my own. i have a 3d printer so I can print a lot of the items ill need but i just don’t know where to exactly start. any and all help would be appreciated…

1 Like

@Sichra89 Welcome to the RobotShop Community. You might research existing, similar sized legged robots to see which actuators and electronics are used, and get an idea of their overall weight.

Simple biped with three degree of freedom legs:

As you might suspect, legged robots need to be as lightweight as possible, so when 3D printing, reduce the weight and size as much as possible and if you have enough filament to use, start with a minimalist design.

As you consider legs with four or more degrees of freedom, the torque requirements increase, and you need lightweight yet high torque servos.
Lynxmotion’s Scout uses 6 DoF legs, and the Hitec 5645 / 5475 are barely enough at the shoulder (it’s not a weight carrying platform). Note too that programming 6DoF legs is not easy either to maintain the center of mass.

If you’re aiming for the same scale and size as the BRAT, then a good place to start (if you have budgetary restrictions) would be:

If you want to offload the servo control (freeing up microcontroller space and processing), add an SSC-32U:

If you don’t use the BotBoarduino and instead only use the SSC-32U, you can connect to a sequencer for testing walking gaits:

Once again, keep everything as lightweight as possible, as compact as possible (no “longlegs”) and you should be able to get something up and walking as a first project.

1 Like