Biped scout - First time robot builder

**I just order a biped scout from the website, i have no idea what i would need to able to success build and control this robot **
i have bought Biped Scout, Lynxmotion Visual Sequencer , SSC-32, Wiring harness, USB to serial Adapter cable, DB9 serial data cable.
i know i need 12 servo, however any recommencement for the servo choice? my goal was let the robot walk on rough terrain
About the electronic part, what else do i need so i could connect my robot to my computer? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

So many thing that i still need. However I want to challenge myself. Thank you for paid the time to read this.

Have you studied the assembly guides?

Assembly Guide for 6DOF Legs v3

lynxmotion.com/driver.aspx?Topic=assem02

Sounds like you’ve got the USB cable to connect up to the SSC32. Study the Sequencer software manual, and use it to move the 'bot servos.

Study and ask questions! I see over a dozen tutorials that you need to work your way through.

I don’t have a Scout.

Alan KM6VV

At this time, the Scout is one of the only robots that does not have sample code; you can find the mechanical assembly guide here:
lynxmotion.com/driver.aspx?T 
 em02#scout
You can try adapting the code for the BRAT, or create your own walking algorithm.

Servo-wise, you’d need 12x Hitec 645MG servos (the brackets only take Hitec “standard” size):
2x lynxmotion.com/p-509-6x-hs-6 
 horns.aspx

For the electronics, consider using a BotBoarduino and SSC-32.
lynxmotion.com/c-153-botboarduino.aspx
lynxmotion.com/p-395-ssc-32- 
 oller.aspx

Last, to power the servos, we’d suggest a 6V, 2800mAh NiMh battery pack.
lynxmotion.com/p-426-60-volt 
 -pack.aspx
lynxmotion.com/p-602-60-12vd 
 arger.aspx
lynxmotion.com/p-497-wiring- 
 ector.aspx

You’ll need spare servo cables and normal cables (examples below)
lynxmotion.com/p-82-servo-ex 
 ble-6.aspx
lynxmotion.com/p-257-power-cable-8.aspx

Thank you KM, I just need some supporter :slight_smile: . I already study the assembly, now can’t wait to “hand on the project.”

Where can I get the sequence software manual?

The manual for the Lynxmotion Visual Sequencer software is available here:

The manual including the serial commands for the SSC-32 servo controller board is here:

According to the manual, the control card is not power from a serial or serial from USB cable. Is that mean if I want to mess around with my ssc 32 controller and visual sequence control first without any servo. Can I do that? And what type of power I should use and is any tips you want to give friends please just throw at me :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I hope I don’t sound too dump, do I need to connect my ssc-32 with my botboard and what is the reasons for that. Also what is atom 8 pro? And what kind of system I should have to control my robot?

The Bot Board + Basic Atom for the “Brains” of the robot (the microcontroller). This handles all the calculations and input / output. The SSC-32 is a dedicated servo controller. The microcontroller sends position commands to the SSC-32 and it takes care of sending these commands to the servos themselves. A servo needs to receive a position command (even if it’s the same command) every 30ms. The SSC-32 handles that for up to32 servos. The microcontroller simply does not have 32 pins to use, and it would be “annoying” for it to have to update servo positions every 30ms while trying to do other tasks. You can see a connection diagram here:
lynxmotion.com/images/assemb 
 ofsch2.gif

Which mean I should mess around with the ssc 32 and the visual sequence control programe just yet. I should wait for the botboard and the servos to be connect to the ssc32 ? And where do I purchase the basic atom ? Thank you very much so far lynxmotion.

You can certainly connect the SSC-32 to the computer and control servos directly. No problem.

If you want to use the SSC-32 by itself with your computer and the visual sequencer software, you would need to provide 6-12V on the VL terminal. If you also want to also use a servo, you would need to provide 6V on the VS1 terminal. This can be done in addition to, or instead of, the power on the VL terminal. If you want to use two separate power sources (recommended for robots with a lot of servos, but not necessary for the Scout), you will need to remove the VL=VS1 jumper.

The Basic Atom Pro 28 chip has been discontinued by the manufacturer as is no longer available. We instead recommend getting a BotBoarduino to replace the Bot Board II + BAP28 combination. Note that if you use either the BotBoarduino or the BAP28 microcontroller, you will not need the visual sequencer software: the visual sequencer software is made to be used directly with the SSC-32 board, effectively making your computer the brains of the robot.

Thank you for reply. So the another question, so in which case I should use botboard. I plan to eventually install wifi camera and arms also sensor. Is that when I need botboard?

You also say I don’t need visual sequencer software if I use botboard, is that because when I use botboard I have to write code to operate my robot ?

Excuse me if I ask too many question lynxmotion. I am going to purchase the other half for my bipedscout, I just want to make sure I cover everything.

You need the BotBoard to run navigation code, or emit sequences of moves for the SSC-32.
Later you can add other tasks, like reading sensors, and tilt/pan of camera.

Alan KM6VV

thank you sir :slight_smile:

To add to Alan’s answer, you need the BotBoard (or BotBoarduino) to run the navigation code if you want your robot to work autonomously (separate from your computer).

Like you said, in this case you will be programming the BAP28 chip or the BotBoarduino directly, so you will not need to use the Visual Sequencer to control the robot live. The Visual Sequencer does have an export to BAP28 feature: in this case, it becomes a code generator instead of control software.

Another option is to tether your robot to your computer with a serial cable or wireless bluetooth. In this case, you do not need neither the BotBoard or BotBoarduino because your computer will be doing all the navigation code. This option would be better if you want to do more complicated navigation logic, such as machine vision on your camera feed. You can use software like FlowBotics Studio to do machine vision on your computer and send serial control sequences over bluetooth to the SSC-32 board on your robot.

Oh dam, that is just open the knot that I been have. So if I purchase the psp Bluetooth controller kit on the website, then I could connect my robot with my computer wirelessly right?

Thank you Jar :slight_smile:

Are you talking about the version with the SSC-32 board, or an autonomous version with BotBoard or BotBoarduino?

If you have the SSC-32 board and the bluetooth parts that go with it (bee, board, cable), you should be able to use a wireless robot connected to your computer to send wireless serial commands to the SSC-32 board.

Note however that the Visual Sequencer does not support PS2 controller input, so you would need to use something else like FlowBotics Studio.

Oh right thank you. Just got the parts last night. Finish assembly this morning. Now waiting on the servo :slight_smile:

I just order 12 servo from the website. So I have couple question, so I need to " zero out" my servo before I install to my scout right ? Then what should I set up at home position?