Big in Japan?

Google and Youtube keep haunting me for my dead projects. Today I was found by an editor for Gakken's magazine "Otona no Kagaku" (Grownup's Science). The magazine's upcoming January issue will have a Theo Jansen theme. Jansen apparantly is very big in Japan. The magazine includes a miniature, wind powered model of a strandbeest.

tj-jp_animaris_ordis_parvus500.png

LMR has a few members in the Land of the Rising Robots. Do you know this magazine by any chance? Could you tell me what it says on this web page and cover? My Japanese ain't what it used to be.

Update 19 Jan 2011

The Gakken people are setting up a Theo Jansen exhibition in the "National Museum of Emerging Technology and Innovation". And they invited my proto type of a leg to be exhibited alongside (and they invited Gareth's Schneebeast as well!).

So today I made a nice package and sent it off to The Other Side of the World.

tj-jp-read_to_go500.jpg

And yes, I included a few extras, just to be safe ;-)

tj-jp-read_to_go_fedex500.jpg

Tough form to fill! What is the declared value of a TJ-leg? How would you describe it for customs? I'm going with "plywood art" for USD100, Alec. The stickers alone are worth it!

If you're interested in the development of my work, visit the pages tagged as theo jansen.

30 jan 2011

I just received a link to a Flickr set of the exhibition at the Miraikan.

5401060536_482ecba08f.jpg

This is the only picture that shows both Gareth’s and my art.

Translation of page to japanglish

The origin of [teo] Jansen supervision, the small-sized strand B strike which moves with the wind the [hu] well appearance. Jansen which looked at trial manufacture the [hu] Animaris Ordis Parvus [is small well, (pal bis) [orudeisu] type (Ordis name of the Jansen works) the anima lith (the animal)] gave name with Latin.

Strange modelling ones which consist of the plastic tube. Once when the wind is received, like whether it was inspired life quite of, it starts moving. STRANDBEEST (the strand B strike) with producing these are named new life body as for, the kinetic art of Holland (the three-dimensional modelling work which moves) the genius and [teo] Jansen. To a physicist, [teo] Jansen which is the artist, from 20 years ago, fused biological evolution and the engineering, created unique world view and trembled the European art boundary.

A4 deformation format page /100 January of /2011 sale schedule- Estimate value: 3,500 Yen (including tax)- Bath [ku]: The mini- B strike of [teo] Jansen

- Purchase method:

Nationwide book storeThe Gakken online shop 'shop. Gakken’

You look at the movement of the mini- B strike with animated picture

I think that’s more a google

I think that’s more a google impersonation of japanese, rather than japenglish…

Big!

Big!

Cool Rik!

Congrats! … did you ever think 2 years ago… your beast legs would be running to Nippon?  Life can be sweet !

two years ago…

I thought I’d have a running bot by now!