Battle bot Drive Train

Hello, my robotics class is looking for a brushed motor, wheel, and esc package for a 15 lb battle bot. Could you make any recommendations?

@Robokidz Welcome to the RobotShop Community. Will the robot be a pusher / sumo or carry weapons? 15 pounds is not a light weight robot, so the motors and motor controller will not be too cheap unless you can find second hand somewhere. To get an idea of the power you need:

with a gearbox:

The CIM consumes quite a lot of current, so you need a pretty powerful motor controller:

Note that most “ESCs” area meant for brushless motors as opposed to brushed. Once again, if you want to save money, you might consider taking the drive train out of a small electric wheelchair or other vehicle.

1 Like

Would the 4" Stealth Whee 8mm bore work well with these motors? If not, what are some other optional wheels that would be good choices?

We will make a small scale version of The Minotaur battle bot. I was wondering if there were smaller motors that would work well with what we are making because the CIM Brushed DC Motors are pretty heavy and might send us over our weight limit. We were also wondering if the ESC could reduce the RPM of the motor by reducing voltage. Thanks for all the help!

You would need a hub between the two with the right bore size, but yes, they should work well together.

Normally compatible hubs are available from the same supplier as the wheel:
https://www.robotshop.com/en/andymark-en.html

The choice of parts really depends on what weapons are available to all competitors. If you enclose the wheel like the Minotaur, there’s less likelihood it will be ripped apart. Yes, for that type of robot, which is less of a “pusher”, you can get away with smaller motors. Perhaps like:

Battlebots is not really an exact science though. There are many, many articles in SERVO magazine regarding Battlebots and the reasons behind certain choices of parts and designs. If you can get back ordered issues, you might find them to be a great read.

Thanks you again for your replies. I found this motor for the wheels: https://www.robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion-12v-480-rpm-2123oz-in-152-brushed-dc-gear-motor-w--encoder.html and I was wondering if it would work well for the wheels. I was also curious about the weight of this motor because I did not see it in on the site. What wheel, motor driver, and hubs, would be a good combo with that motor?

Yes, but… the compatible hub is made for a keyway, which the output shaft of that motor does not have

Anymark suggests using a parallel shaft, which adds complexity to the system
The Stealth wheel has an 8mm bore, but no method to fix it to a shaft, so it needs a hub.

You’d be better off using a similarly sized Banebots wheel and hub:

Both are “T81” and should be compatible. There are other wheel options too:
https://www.robotshop.com/en/banebots-en.html

I appreciate all of the information you have given me. I was also wondering how much that lynxmotion motor weighs because I could not find it’s weight on the website. What motor driver would work well with that motor?

Hmm… that is indeed odd - the weight is 0.578Kg (20.4oz)