Battery

For the Robot Rover, what kind of battery should I plan on? I’m going to add, at least, an Arduino, several sensors, pan and tilt plus the DC motors that come with the kit. And while I’m asking, how do I split the leads from the battery to power different devices.

Hi stonechild,

The RobotShop Rover for Arduino Development Platform (complete kit or tank kit) come with a 9V battery holder (to power Arduinos that require 9V+) and a 4xAA battery (to power motors and sensors). Note that if you choose a different Arduino (one that can operate using 4.8V) you won’t need the 9V battery. Using both batteries gives you 3.3V and 5V from the Arduino (low current), 4.8V high current and 9V low current for additional modules. You can get 12V by using a voltage regulator (which easily plugs into the breadboard).

Alternatives include the breadboard mountable Arduino Nano, Arduino Mini, Arduino Pro Mini, etc. The Arduino Procan also be used, but would need to be mounted using double sided adhesive as opposed to the standofs) We highly recommend using rechargeable AA batteries. Note that you can use any shield you wish, and still incorporate an additional level. Uou can use a regular AA battery pack in place of the 4xAA battery holder and mount it with velcro.

Fortunately you do not need to split the wires from the AA battery holder using the breadboards (each row of 5 is common, so plugging the +V lead into one of row powers that entire row at +V (same goes for GND). Use the pre-formed jumper wires to extend this to as many rows as needed. Most sensors can be powered from the Arduino’s 5V output, but if you find they draw too much current, use the battery pack directly (again, ensure common ground).