Automated VTOL using Contra-rotating motor

The project consists of a flying object which holds altitude and hover at a stable state. The flying object is to use the VTOL (Vertical Take-Off and Landing) technique with the aid of a contra-rotating system with fixed pitch propellers. Three sensors are used in order to complete an automated project. The infrared sensor keeps real-time measurement of the altitude, gyro for roll and pitch movements and accelerometer which measures the X and Y g-force measurements. Mini servos and are used to arrange the orientation of the system and the contra-rotating speed varies depending on the measurements obtained by the IMU board. A APC220 Wirelss serial Data Module is used to determine the system’s flight mode. The system is under the control of Arduino MEGA microcontroller and is powered by a 3 cell 4000 mAh Li-Po battery.

It will holds altitude and hover at a stable state

• Control method: Autonomous Semi-Autonomous
  • CPU: Arduino Mega
  • Power source: 3s Li-po 4000mah
  • Sensors / input devices: Ultrasonic sensors, RC Servo, mpu-6050, APC220
  • Target environment: indoors/outdoors/small areas

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/automated-vtol-using-contra-rotating-motor

Wow!

It looks awesome! Wow :slight_smile:

More info, video, moooore :smiley:

I love it!

Nice project! What motor

Nice project! What motor model you use in this project? Mega board have big size how do you plan mount it?

heheee… cheers mate!!

Cheers mate, up till now the only video I own is of the contra-rotating motor working… I will upload it soon!! and i will continue uploading the process of constructing this bot… 

Thanks…

Thanks… I am using a Contra Rotating BL System 375W (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=6565

It has a big size the Mega but it fits inside of the 63mm drain pipe ; )

Very cool! Nice work.I saw

Very cool!  Nice work.

I saw a similar design this year when I went to a Worcester Polytech open house and saw a number of the senior projects.  Their design was taller and it looks like from the picture that the control vanes had a lot more surface area.  It was a DARPA funded project with a requirement to be able to fit a drone into a suitcase. 

Please, I really want to see some video of this in action! 

Regards,

Bill

Awesome and a very cool

Awesome and a very cool testing techique :slight_smile:

Most of my questions are already answered but there is still one. Do you want that VTOL run autonomously on it’s own or controlled by a remote computer and linked via WiFi or others?

thanks mate…

thanks mate for your interest in my project… yes at first the thought was to run the system autonomously as in program the system to fly for a couple of time and than let the system to land on its own once it gets the data from the battery that the voltage is being drained. But than it was decided to run the system from an IOS device (iphone 5s) using tha app TOUCHOSC which communicates with the system via Wifi. But as you might notice from the image and the video you’ll see that the chassis is complete different and this was due that I had a little accident on my first flight attempt and destroyed the whole chassis. So for the moment the system will run automounsly since this is a project for my final year in Higher National Diploma in Enginneering and the deadline is due to 18th June so I do not have time to configure the wifi but will continue improving it once I’m done cause I really wish to manage and control it via my phone…  

This thing is COOL. It is

This thing is COOL.  It is impressive you have gotten it to work as well as you have.  I can only imagine the many hours you have into it already.  

That is scary watching those spinning blades so close to you.  Please put some safety glasses on when running that thing at the very least to protect your eyes if it goes out of control.  Leather jacket and a dead man switch for you (you can just step off it to cut power to the motors) would be good additions too.

Regards,

Bill