Attaching Wheeleez wheel to a Jazzy DD Axle

Hi All, I am building a robot beach cart and using a wheelchair base with jazzy motors. They each have an axle, probably around 3" in length designed with a Double D shaft. I have two 42mm beach wheels from Wheeleez with a round open hub center bearing. There are 4 bolts holding the hubs together, which I was going to use a backing plate somehow.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I should connect the wheel to the shaft, utilizing the DD design on the axle? Keep in mind that I have minimum space as my width needs to remain under 36" so I can’t have the wheels sticking too far out from the motors.
Thank you in advance!
Victor

1 Like

Hi @VitoMu !

I guess you have something like this:

I guess you would have to find or make a hub for this. Hub would go through the center of the wheel, or you could screw on the bearing plate and the center of this hub should fit double D shaft. Something that would look like this somehow:

Probably there are other solutions, but this is the first one that comes to my mind.

Hi Igor, once again thank you for your reply. I’ve thought of a few different methods and one that I am going to try first is with a 3/4" DD tube, used for steering columns in cars, it’s hollow. I am going to attach (weld) a backing plate to it to screw on to the wheeleez. The only issue I have with this application is that the motor axle is slightly larger than a 3/4" inside measurement of the tube (it’s probably metric) and so I will have to grind off some of the girth from the axle to fit through the sleeve. I then plan on running a long screw through the plate and through the tube to screw into the existing hole in the center of the axle, which is the hole that the original screws were mounted to.

The only concern I have with this method is the strength of the tube and whether or not the torque of the motor will twist the metal.

1 Like

You are welcome.

Welding is always an option.

If this tube is made of steel, I think it will hold. There is always some twisting, but you will see in the end what happens.

Thoughts on grinding down the girth on the axle to fit my tube? It’s pretty close but it might be a 16th of an inch off around the circumference.

1 Like

Or you could heat up the tube so it expands and then try to fit it?

Once again!!! Thinking outside of the box which I have a hard time doing! That’s a great idea and the tube is long enough for me to test it! Thank you again Igor!

1 Like

I’m glad that I could help.