Arm not communicating with flowarm

My AL5D robotic arm I purchased for use with the PLTW program is not connecting to the FlowArm software. The drivers installed, the power turns on and then when I turn on flowarm, select the proper arm and select the bluetooth icon the arm is never found. I’ve tried this on three separate computers in my room. This is the second arm I am trying to get to communicate with the computer. The first arm worked properly.

Talking to someone on the phone would certainly be more convenient for me but I am hoping that the returned message will help me with this problem.

Thank you

Hi,

Please try our free diagnostic tool, Lynxterm. Download and run this software. In SETUP, set the COM port and baud rate (by default, 9600). Make sure the SSC-32U is powered (6 V DC on VS1) and then connect.

Once connected, type in the black text box “VER” followed by [return]. The board should respond with its firmware version.

Also, please provide us with one or more pictures clearly showing all components (the board, its jumpers, all wires, power cables, etc.).

Sincerely,

The lynxterm software is not allowing me to type anything in the blackbox. I am at a loss here.

And how do I insert images? I tired but says I have to have URL. Very frustrating.

If you cannot type in the black text box, then you re not connected to the board. Please see the attached image for details.

Concerning attachments, you can access it by click the Attachments bar in the “Full Editor” mode. See the other attached image for details.

Sincerely,

Thanks for the quick reply. I connected and then when I typed [ver] followed by return key no version came up.

Also after connecting the lights on “A” and “B” are no longer on and there isn’t a light blinking either.

Everything with the wiring of your setup seems fine. Therefore, it may be an issue with the interface chip (FT232R) that provides a connection between the USB port and the SSC-32U’s on-board electronics.

Fortunately, this can usually be fixed by reprogramming the chip and reinstalling the drivers. Please try the steps below (see the attached images for details):

For the following steps, remove all connections from the SSC-32U (power cables, servo motors) except for the USB connection to your computer.

1. Get the FT_PROG utility from FTDI, available here.
  2. Install the PID=F460 drivers on your system.
  3. With the SSC-32U connected, click on the DEVICES menu and select Scan and Parse F5. A list of compatible FTDI devices should be listed under Device Tree.
  4. Find your device in the list and go to USB Device Descriptor.
  5. Change the Custom VID/PID field to the value of Custom PID.
  6. Go to the Product ID field and change the value to F460.
  7. Right-click any of the items in the Device Tree for your device and select Program Device.
    8 )Disconnect the SSC-32U from the USB connection.
    9] Reconnect the SSC-32U with the USB connection.
  8. Windows should normally install the drivers automatically. If it does not, simply open Device Manager and install the drivers manually. You will have to browse to where they were extracted to install them.

Once this is completed, reconnect only the power on VS1 and power-up your SSC-32U using the power supply. Then, try the Lynxterm utility again and see if you can connect and obtain a response.

Let us know if this helps.

Sincerely,

I received the message C32-V2.50USB. I will now try to use the arm with flowarm software.

Thank You

The arm works with the flowarm software. Thank you for the help and I know what to do now if I’m confronted with this issue again.