Arduino vs. Picaxe

Im still relatively new to robotics and micro controllers, and while searching the internet for information i stumbled upon some arduino projects, both on youtube and their site. As i am still learning basic/ programming in general along with robotics i was wondering what you guys thought about the arduino as experience robot builders. I currently have the picaxe 28x1 starter kit and im in the process of making the start here robot (waiting on parts) but im not sure which is better. The arduino seems like a great controller as has many prebuilt add-ons (shields) and looks pretty intreasting, however i’ve only seen a few robots made with the arduino here on the site with most people sticking to the picaxe 28x1 or 18x1. Any advice/ information you could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

I like several chips (I really like the chocolate ones)…

I started off with a 8052 chip with BASIC-52 built in (WAY too long ago!) and a KIM-1 (6502 based) and a TI 68010 based trainer.

(Years go by…)

Then I had a STAMP-2, nice chip but it needed a built in ADC. Still not a bad chip, great to learn on.

Next I went to a Arduino, awesome setup, (I now have a few!) but it is showing its age (like me :slight_smile:

(I like Linux too, Ubuntu, and Windows 7 64bit, not sure if the Arduino has gotten better on the Linux side, sorry!)

I am now going to try a PICAXE 18M2, I like the “tasking” and other chip features. (Found a possible PWM problem with the board I ordered, but I think I can get around it…)

My future expansion of “Phoenix” may use an Arduino AND the 18M2 (a processor-coprocessor combination).

I also would like to try a Propeller chip (maybe a Prop-2) and a PIC-32… (Tried a TI MP430, can’t quite program it yet…)

And I have LOVED them all! Why do I have to say one is my favorite? I have always hated “flame wars” because every chip has its own merits, if it didn’t it probably wouldn’t exist! Plenty more are being developed each day. :slight_smile:

Find a chip, build a bot. If it isn’t good enough make another bot (I have 3 now!) It is always a great learning experience. You are all awesome, just never forget that!

(And please don’t listen to me, I am an old retired fart that never stops learning, and hopefully never will…)