Arduino Mosfet Control

Hi Everyone.  If someone could answer my question I'd sure be thankful.  Unfortunately I am a little sparse on details because I'm away from my work bench.

Anyways.  I am working trying to build a toy sentry gun.   The instructions show that instead of having a servo enable a trigger, it's possible to have a signal activate a Mosfet gate.  So I've been able to successfully setup the circuit.  It fires for a little bit when I xclick my mouse, but after 2-3 seconds of firing, it crashes my arduino and then it crashes the processing application that runs it. 

The voltage going to the mini air softt gun should be 5v.  But for some reason it wasn't able to cause the gun to cycle so I bumped it up to 7.6v through the use of a Lipo battery.  I don't think the voltage going into the gun should have any effect on the arduino, but through the Mosfet control, some how it does.

The two things connecting to the breadboard to the arduino are the #7 signal cable and the ground wire.   I'll post a diagram soon if at all possible.

Here is how I set it up

I solved this issue. The

I solved this issue. The remedy was to place a diode in between the signal wire and the mosfet.  This makes for having two diodes instead of just one like the image above.